Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ssd or hybrid

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mast3r786

mast3r786

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:58 AM

hi guys ...i would like to upgrade my laptop ...its a lenovo i3 ...its also a bit bleepty (i have had better) so it has 1tb of hd space ...but i want to do this ..i want to take out the optical drive(mableepa) that cd drive is useless ,i would like to take that out and insert and ssd .making the ssd the boot drive with the os and use the 1tb just for space ...what do you think is better replacing the cd drive with ssd or/and the 1tb hd with a hybrid ..proZ and conZ plz ..thanks in advanced

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

Have you checked with Lenovo to see if you can make a drive mounted in the CD slot bootable?  Can you mount any drive in the CD slot?  Laptops are no where near as upgradable as a desktop.

Why do you want to add another drive?  Do you need the space?

You may be limited to installing the SSD where the 1TB drive is and installing the 1TB drive in an external enclosure.

#3 mast3r786

mast3r786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:23 AM

i have consulted with them and they said there is a possibility it may work ( half the time i don't think they know what they saying)...oh and wanted to mount a new hard drive because the optical drive does not even burn its like useless ,its like its poorly made or something ...i have consulted lenovo time and time again even though its under warrenty there's no luck

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

If your HDD connects like this:

Free-shipping-font-b-Hard-b-font-font-b-

Then you may be able to do it- provided you can track down a longer cable to run from the HDD enclosure across to the CD drive bay.

I'm also assuming your motherboard will support 2 HDDs, and it has connections available for both. But if it did the the CD drive situation is moot, since you would have 2 HDD bays:

toshiba-qosmio-g25-03.jpg

Without knowing what model you have I can only speculate, but it sounds like you'll probably need to do some soldering to make it work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users