Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird losses of connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Melisae21

Melisae21

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:49 AM

Hi!

Hrm, I am not sure if this is worth inquiring about, but it is weird enough I wanted to see if it might be normal causes before I start worrying about it being something like malware or a virus.

Basically, over the last week or so, my Windows 7 Home Premium desktop (a Dell Inspiron 660) has started having occasional connection problems. We have a Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router AC 1200 (EA6300). The router runs into a Netgear ProSafe GS105 5-port gigabit switch that is used to connect my PS3 and two printers, but the desktop had a wireless connection to the router.

Maybe 1-3 times a day, the desktop will suddenly lose its internet connection until I close all programs that were using the internet. It lets me reconnect in about 10-30 seconds generally after I do that. The thing is, while I'd assume it was an ISP problem, no other computers in the household are having the same problem, not even the Windows 7 laptop I have right next to me. So I'm not sure if it is an ISP problem since only one computer is having the issue.

For example, it disconnected once within like 10-15 minutes of me waking up today at 8:30 AM and once at 9:55 PM tonight. It is not routinely timed or anything and nothing else is affected when it happens other than the desktop.

The desktop had a wireless connection, but today I tried plugging in the ethernet cable I normally have plugged into my PS3 and the desktop still lost connection this evening.

Any help or advice would be appreciated! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

Hi,

Is your configuration?

Internet -> router -> switch -> wired devices

wireless would go direct to the router

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Melisae21

Melisae21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

Hi,

Is your configuration?

Internet -> router -> switch -> wired devices

wireless would go direct to the router

Thanks

It is. :) 

The switch is for the printers, mostly, but all the computers (the Windows desktop having the problem, a Windows laptop, and an Apple desktop) all use the wireless directly to the router.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

Any other powered electronics in the area that might generate interference? Even on the other side of nearby walls.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 Melisae21

Melisae21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

Any other powered electronics in the area that might generate interference? Even on the other side of nearby walls.

Keep us posted

There's a bathroom and master bedroom between this computer and the router. The only electronics in between would be a TV and cable box. But none of them are new and this computer operated without issue for several months before this started (we got the Linksys router a few months ago).

I thought plugging it into the netgear switch would solve it if it was a wireless interference, but that didn't help either last night. Hrm. :(

Thanks for the questions and looking into it!

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

If you are losing the connection regardless of wire or wireless then we need to move one step back and look at the network interface card. Are those drivers current? Is the card firmly seated in the motherboard? Anything else touching the card? Have you checked temperatures to see if anything is getting hot? Is the card part of the motherboard or a plugin? If it's in/on the motherboard then a plug in NIC might be a quick and easy solution. You could disable the onboard one.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

Another thing you may want to look at is assigning a static IP address to the desktop using a IP address outside the DHCP range of the router.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 June 2014 - 07:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users