Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia crashing during games

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shimeiengetsu

shimeiengetsu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:33 PM

For the longest time, my laptop, a Dell XPS L502X, has had a problem where it would crash suddenly while playing some games. The crashes don't result in a blue screen or an error message, they simply cause the screen to lock up and the sound to jam up, becoming a long series of loud buzzing noises. At first, the crashes happened so rarely and on so few games that I just assumed they were the result of something else crashing in the background and gumming up the works. Now, however, they happen within 45 minutes of playing the majority of games, and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what's causing them.

My graphics card is a GeForce GT 540M with an Intel HD Graphics 3000  I'm running 64-bit Windows 7, and have 6 GB of RAM. So far, I've tried rolling back the drivers, wiping and re-installing older drivers from when things worked better, selectively installing only the graphics card drivers and excluding Nvidia's bloat, changing system settings in the Nvidia menu to games specifically use the dedicated GPU, and I've run stress tests. Not a single thing has even given me a clue as to what the problem is, let alone fixed it. About the only thing that allowed me any insight into the situation was running League of Legends (a game which worked without issue a year ago) in windowed mode. When the game experienced its inevitable crash, it actually recovered once or twice, informing me via an error message that the Nvidia kernel mode driver had crashed and recovered. 

I'm at wit's end here, and I'd deeply appreciate any help in figuring out what is going wrong here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mast3r786

mast3r786

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:54 PM

firstly make sure you meet the requirements for the game...2nd it sounds like a hardware issue ,i would update the drivers ..after that use a tool to run a diagnostic test ..sometimes Its the small things that make a big problem

#3 shimeiengetsu

shimeiengetsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:32 PM

1) As far as system requirements go, I meet minimum or better for every game I play.

2) For drivers, I've tried clean installs of the current driver (337.88), as well as two earlier versions that were recommended for those with similar problems on other forums (310.90 and 314.20). I've also tried using the custom installation options on each to mess about with which pieces of the driver package are installed. None of the above had any measurable effect 

3) I've run some of the basic system diagnostics and attempted to check through the event logs, but are there any diagnostics for the GPU you'd recommend?

Thanks for the reply, btw :)

#4 mast3r786

mast3r786

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:13 AM

try using this,its called CUDA GPU-and let me know if the fault persists ...its a good software ...after that take a look at gpu-z (it doesn't offer a diagnostic ,but its a very good tool)

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

This could be a heat related crash... I recommend dusting out the computer, laptops tend to require a good cleaning around every 3-6 months if you game on them. You can dust it out by blowing air through the intake and exhaust, canned air will work, an air compressor will work as well but use low psi (40psi or less).

I have also seen anti-virus software cause strange crashes, I would recommend uninstalling, re-testing. You can always re-install AV's.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users