Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird option appearing in "Choose Default Program"

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tdw2

tdw2

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

I went to go set photoshop as the default for opening a jpeg, and I noticed this weird option on the list that says %1. I don't know how to get rid of it it is very annoying. I tried cleaning the registry with CCleaner and removing "%1;" from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileAssociation Killlist property. Nothing has worked so far, I'm stumped. What the hell is %1 anyway?

rcivfjD.png?1?9989

Edited by tdw2, 15 June 2014 - 08:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

In normal operation, %1 is the first parameter passed to a program, %2 is the second parameter passed to a program, etc.

Check this out to see if it helps.  I know it says XP, the the concept is the same: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/OpenWith.htm

#3 tdw2

tdw2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

In normal operation, %1 is the first parameter passed to a program, %2 is the second parameter passed to a program, etc.

Check this out to see if it helps.  I know it says XP, the the concept is the same: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/OpenWith.htm

Thanks, but I still don't know how to remove it.

#4 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

In the article, you should see: "To remove unwanted entries from the Open With listing..."

Best of luck.

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 15 June 2014 - 09:44 PM.

#5 tdw2

tdw2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

In the article, you should see: "To remove unwanted entries from the Open With listing..."

Best of luck.

The odd thing is %1 isn't even showing up in the registry.

#6 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

It is a variable of a program that is suppose to represent that icon. And that program may have been uninstalled recently but the icon remained there. Should be nothing to be really concerned about. It's just like ghost icons.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#7 tdw2

tdw2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

It is a variable of a program that is suppose to represent that icon. And that program may have been uninstalled recently but the icon remained there. Should be nothing to be really concerned about. It's just like ghost icons.

It's really irritating though, do you happen to know how to gid rid of it?

#8 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:15 AM

Have a look at this. It may help you in some way.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/18119/remove-programs-from-open-with-menu-in-explorer/

Edited by badr0b0t, 16 June 2014 - 06:27 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#9 tdw2

tdw2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

It doesn't even show up in the registry.

#10 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

Not surprised as the program may have been uninstalled already as I mentioned before. The link to it is gone. If only there is a refresh button for than window. :)

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#11 tdw2

tdw2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

I found out the problem, it was that piece of bleep Quicktime! Only problem now is that I need Quicktime to use After Effects.

Edited by tdw2, 16 June 2014 - 10:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users