Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downgraded ASUS N56JR to Windows 7 and Installing Drivers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wioneo

wioneo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

Hello I recently bought an ASUS N56JR and downgraded from the installed Windows 8 home 64 bit to Windows 7 pro 64 bit.

I went down the problem list in the device manager and searched hardware IDs to get all of the problems resolved, but I know that there are still drivers to be installed. I also installed all of the nearly 200 Windows updates. I'm not sure how to properly do that for devices that aren't showing up with a problem. For example the keyboard, NVIDIA geforce gtx 760m card, and bluetooth don't show a problem in device manager, but the keys don't light up, dxdiag only shows the Intel card, and the bluetooth can't connect to anything (but it can be found).

I know those still need work because there are obvious problems associated, but I don't know what other less obvious driver issues I could have that are less apparent. Is there some way to check for devices that aren't showing up in the manager? Also I foolishly uninstalled and unknown device instead of just the driver and it disappeared from the list. How can I get that back?

I was planning to just force updates (that I can find) on devices that the manager thinks are working properly but I know better, but I wanted to check if there was a better/actually correct way to go about this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

Have you checked with Asus?  I always get my drivers from the motherboard manufacturer.  Any other source is likely to be problem laden.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 wioneo

wioneo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

ASUS doesn't support Windows 7 on the laptop. They only even started supporting 8.1 drivers recently based on posts that I've seen, so I wasn't surprised to see problems. I'm more trying to learn how the device manager works than asking about my specific computer.

#4 wioneo

wioneo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

For anyone who might see this later, this is how I got everything to work.

I followed the advice given in this topic and downloaded all of the most recent drivers from the second link as suggested.

I followed the first link almost to the letter starting with the drivers section, and everything is working now. I installed the ATK package before the touchpad gesture driver as suggested on the Asus site, however. I also skipped 12 through 21 (except for ATK). All of the things after the card reader (10) are Asus software that you don't really need, the ATK is needed for backlit keys and the popup notifications when you change settings with the function keys. I'm considering removing the touchpad driver, because that alone runs 5 processes constantly. I assume that would cause a loss of multi-finger scroll/zoom.

The NVIDIA geforce gtx 760m card clearly works if I set it as the default card in Nvidia settings as suggested in the link even though it does not show up in Dxdiag. However it is a bit louder than the Intel gpu. I will leave the gpu setting on automatic selection (to decrease noise), but I am not sure if that setting fully utilizes both cards based on GPU-Z sensors during the render test. Either way, you can clearly force use of the card in Nvidia settings if the automatic selection does not kick in when desired.

#5 carlmart

carlmart

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:55 AM

This topic is a bit old, but I wonder if Wioneo can refresh the info on where to get valid drivers for the Asus N56J.

The links provided are no more, so I have to get them somewhere else. Asus does not provide anything for Windows 7.

Where should I get the drivers?

My Geforce is 840N, but I guess the one for the 760 should work with it.

I do not like Windows 8, which should remain on the original HDD. But I intend to do a W7 fresh install on an SSD. But I do need the drivers.

The drivers I could find come from here:

http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/asus/laptops-desktops/n56vj/1281

But I'm not sure if that site can trusted. I already got bitten by Cryptowall on the 8.1, when looking for way to clone W7 behavior on W8. So I won't download drivers from untrusted sites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users