Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell laptop will not load past welcome screen.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ovie97

ovie97

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

All of the sudden my laptop has been acting odd. As of today, it will not load windows past the welcome screen. I have windows7 and have ran antivirus and adware scans and no major issues showed up. Mbam scan would never completely scan when I would run it. Also today when I turned my laptop on, windows prompted to recover to a previous save point to fix errors, that also failed. Could anyone give me some advice or insight as to what may be going on? Thanks in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

Can you boot to Safe Mode?  If so, I'd try to run SFC.  You could also run chkdsk and let it check for and attempt repair of any bad sectors.  If you can't boot to Safe Modem, find another Windows 7 computer 32 or 64 bit the same as yours, make a repair disc, and boot from it.  To make a repair disc, click Start -> Control Panel -> Backup and restore -> Create system repair disc.  Insert a blank CD-R and it'll create it.  Then take the disc to your computer and boot from it.  Let it try to repair the problem.

One of the options with the repair disc is to boot to the command prompt if all else fails.  From there you could copy your data to a flash drive or external hard drive.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 ovie97

ovie97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

We'll so far it will not boot into safe mode. I have made a boot disk from a friends windows 7. I managed to get my laptop to run a diagnostic and I got a hard drive error code of 0142. Does this mean a new hard drive is in my future, or is this something that can be repaired?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

That code means your hard drive is failing. I would try and remove any data from the drive. You can try doing it with a small linux distro like puppy or attach the drive to another computer and try to copy over your files.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-system/error-problem-0142-after-running-diagnostics-test/1ed426b6-b7d5-4794-8477-8e688053de4a

#5 ovie97

ovie97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

Well that sucks, does anyone have any recommendations for a decent replacement drive?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

I don't think you could go wrong with one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LR1RPK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004LR1RPK&linkCode=as2&tag=hardwarevol03-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DSUTX3O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00DSUTX3O&linkCode=as2&tag=hardwarevol03-20

Edit: You could verify the problem with a bootable disk of a hard drive diagnostic software but I think you want to but less stress on the drive at this point. Best to get the data off first and then do the diagnostic. You could also put the drive in a USB enclosure if you do not want to attach it to another computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 June 2014 - 10:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users