Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

You must restart windows for thes changes to take effect

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Phade102

Phade102

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

I installed some windows updates this morning, they were configured with no restart whatsoever. Just a few minutes ago (Keep in mind, this is 12+ plus ago) this window popped up saying that i must restart for the changes to take effect, then trustedinstaller.exe started running. is this normal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

Could this be from another application other than Windows 7?  My Windows 7 laptop doesn't have a file named trustedinstaller.exe.

Correction:  When I clicked the Start button and typed trustedinstaller.exe in the search box, it said "No items match your search".  So I came back, started the Windows Explorer and did a search on the C: drive.  Sure enough it found 4 copies.  I guess politicians and computers can both lie to us, huh?  :hysterical: 

Edited by wpgwpg, 15 June 2014 - 05:21 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Phade102

Phade102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

Trustedinstaller is what is used to install windows updates. But I think its because I plugged my mouse into another port. its a known bug apparently.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

There usually is a notice which will make you aware that a restart is going to happen in fifteen minutes.  This notice has provisions to postpone the restart.   Did you see this notice?

If you did not, were you away from the computer for any length of time?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Phade102

Phade102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

No I wasnt, But I had to plug in my mouse to a new usb port, and apparently windows 7 has a bug that causes that to happen

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

My Windows 7 laptop doesn't have a file named trustedinstaller.exe.

There is no file named trustedinstaller.exe., this is because it is used by a service called Windows Module Installer which is used to install Windows 7 system modules.  The system modules include Windows Update and Automatic Updates.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

No I wasnt, But I had to plug in my mouse to a new usb port, and apparently windows 7 has a bug that causes that to happen

Please explain what you mean by a bug causes that to happen.

#8 Phade102

Phade102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:57 AM

Apparently its just a plug and play bug with drivers? I'm not sure. And I do have a file called trustedinstaller.exe, it is in windows/servicing. Its not a virus or anything, its a perfectly normal process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users