Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is my CPU running so hot?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Phxpcman

Phxpcman

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

I  just can't figure it out...

Here's a speccy snapshot:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Yn4nUTblmWL0ENpX6arjXk2

Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer advice.

My laptop is clean and kept in a closed environment when not in use, and from the outside the vents look clean and clear...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

Wow!  102 C, that's the hottest temp I've seen here, and more than capable of destroying circuits.  The first thing you want to do is remove all the dust and accumulated crud that's built up with a can of compressed gas.  I'd check to make sure the CPU fan is working properly.  While your CPU is over the boiling point of water, the other temps look reasonable, so I'd examine that fan closely.  You should replace the thermal compound between the CPU and its fan - it's not expensive.  I bought my last tube for $12.  That's about as specific as I can get without knowing whether you're running a laptop or desktop.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:03 AM

I have seen a few chipsets report incorrect temperatures. First lets confirm that it is really this hot... After powering on the computer tap F1, F2, F9 or delete to go into the bios, check your cpu temp in bios. The temperature in the bios is likely correct.

Another test while it is running: put your ear next to the exhaust of the computer, does it feel 102c? It would be hot enough to cause discomfort if you are close enough to the exhaust port.

It is possible the heatsync itself failed or has broken lose. These can be difficult to replace and sometimes require full tear downs. CPU heat syncs actually contain a liquid which transfers heat through the heat pipe to the cooling fins where the fan pushes air through to cool the cpu/video chip etc. I have only confirmed 2 bad heat syncs and it seems to be a rare issue. The more likely issue if it is actually that hot is that the heat sync is not making good contact with the chips. If this is the case, removing the heat sync and re-applying thermal paste, the screwing it back down may solve the issue.

Edited by zingo156, 16 June 2014 - 11:04 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

Thank you for this.

I've got an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop, and I finally figured out how to get to the BIOS (InsydeH20 Setup utility)...but I cannot see any way to check the CPU temp.

I have 4 horizontal options - MAIN - SECURITY - SYSTEM CONFIGURATION - EXIT.

None of these seems to offer a place to check the CPU temp.

Am I in the wrong place?

Also, the ear test that you suggested makes me feel a bit better. It certainly doesn't feel that hot.

And, although I just decided at random to do a Speccy check yesterday and saw this outrageous temp, I have been using this laptop for close to a year with no problems. It still works great...

But, if you could tell me anything more about how to check the temp in the BIOS, I would surely appreciate it.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

HP seems to limit bios options quite heavily. If you do not see it in any of those lists, it may not be there. You can try other temperature monitoring softwares, HWmonitor is ok, I have seen it report incorrect temps as well. Speedfan is another one. It is kind of hit or miss on reliability. The ear test seems to be my favorite way. 102C would be uncomfortable with the exhaust port close, that is 215F which is over the boiling temperature of water. Also, the computer would likely shut down on it's own before it hit any dangerous temperature.

The only problem with the ear test is that if the heat sync actually is broken, it won't be transferring heat in which case it wouldn't feel that warm either. If you do feel some heat coming out, my guess is the computer is fine. On the 2 computers I had that had bad heat pipes, the air coming out actually felt cool, the computer would overheat and shut off within a few minutes or less.

Edited by zingo156, 16 June 2014 - 12:05 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

Thank you so much my friend...

I downloaded Speedfan, and here are the results:

HD0:     38C

Temp1: 43C

Temp2: 30C

GPU:    43C

I guess speccy was wrong in this instance.

You saved me a trip to a technician.  :)

I actually tried yesterday (I am studying to be a tech) to disassemble the laptop and physically check the heat sink area. but I couldn't get the back cover off.  :(

I took out the HDD, and all the screws that I saw, even in the battery compartment, and still could not figure out how to get the back cover off to expose the CPU.

Laptops can be so complicated...

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

The temps look good. Glad that problem is solved.

Generally you have to take the keyboard out and there will be more screws holding it together under that. Youtube is your best friend in this case, you can do a search there for your make and model and add dissemble, you will likely find many videos on how to take your model apart.

#8 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

You are correct. thank you soooooooooooooooooo much!

Peace to you.

#9 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

I've had a similar problem with Speccy.  It reports my CPU temps 20 degrees C hotter than SpeedFan does.  Good to hear you're OK.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#10 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

This time Speccy reported 60 degrees hotter!

That's a lot...

Thank you.

Every day, we can learn something new, if we are paying attention...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users