Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there anti virus for XP after end of XP life?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

HI all,

Many people are still using XP but AVG free and MSE anti virus are both prompting about end of support. AVG are still prompting to buy their pro version. Will the pro version continue to protect XP or will it be the same as the free version and warn about the end of life of XP?

Thanks.

Moderator Edit: Moved from XP to a more appropriate forum

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 15 June 2014 - 11:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

First, I would not run MSE and AVG together if that is what you are doing. One can conflict with the other. I think this is just FUD by the antivirus companies. They will still support XP. So, I would use AVG until they specifically say AVG free will not longer work on XP. I use avast! on an XP computer and set it to Hardened Aggressive Mode in settings which uses a whitelist. This will keep stop a lot of malware from executing and when used with a Limited User Account should help keep malware from infecting your computer. As far as I know avast! will support XP for quite awhile.

Another piece of software I would recommend for XP would be Malwarebytes Anti-exploit Free.

#3 Zimrid

Zimrid

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

What really bothers me about the end of Windows XP support is that not everyone is ready to learn a new operating system.   

There are some elderly and learning disabled  people  who thrive on everything staying the same and who don't deserve to lose an operating system they have learned and can understand.   

I hope they will offer some sort of compromise.   

#4 HairCut

HairCut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

'AVG free' is warning about end of life now. I wonder how long it will be before 'Avast! free' version starts to warn because the protection is compromised by the vulnerability of end of life XP. (As  if it's any different now than it has been for 13 years

:) 13 years of  browser hijacks, worms and viruses ).

I've been looking at an XP system for an elderly person.

I like the idea of the limited user account but I'm not sure it's possible to recommend it to the ordinary user as it's security going forward is still going to be questionable.

I can't upgrade to Windows 7 as the machine is not up to it (I find this after I have installed and tested Windows 7 on the machine :()

Currently I am looking at Lubuntu with XP in Virtualbox but I'm wondering if the user will be able to cope. It might take some very concise instructions.

Edited by HairCut, 15 June 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

I can say that avast! will support xp for the foreseeable future. Take a look at Puppy Linux. It runs in ram and boots from a USB or CD.  Another linux distro to look at is Zorin. V6 is a long-term release.

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

I do volunteer work teaching computers at local senior centers.  I find most seniors have little trouble with Windows 7 but Windows 8.1 is somethin' else.  However once we show them how to install Classic Shell (which is FREE) they're happy with it since it gives you back the look and feel of earlier versions of Windows.  

I have XP installed on a test computer and XP mode available on two desktops with Windows 7 Pro, but I'm very reluctant to use it any more because even though I have good virus protection, the bad guys can look at the new updates coming out for 7 & 8.1 and find the holes in XP that aren't being fixed regardless of what antivirus you have.  What I recommend for folks who can't or won't upgrade is Linux.  The two flavors I'm familiar with are Ubuntu and Mint, and they run very well on XP computers, they have Windows like user interfaces, and they're supported.  YMMV.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:46 PM

AVAST will continue to support Windows XP for home and business users

...AVAST will continue to support Windows XP users by creating protection modules and detections to cover vulnerabilities and other security problems for at least the next three years...

Majority of AVAST customers running Windows XP said they will rely on AVAST to protect them
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 HairCut

HairCut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:03 AM

Thanks very much

3 years of support from Avast! A clever move.

I'm away to re-install XP. and Avast!

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016