Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Startup program

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 safetybeef

safetybeef

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

I just bought a used lenovo pc from a dude off of craigslist and I'm currently going through the startup list.  I found a strange startup program called "TODO (followed by three japanese characters).  I have no idea what this is and can't find a single site that mentions this startup item.  Anyone know what it might be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

I did a Google search for todo and got 680 million hits.  You could remove it from the startup list and see what difference it makes.  You could also restore that computer to factory settings - I think that's what I'd probably do.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

It looks like Todo is organization software,

I agree that your best solution would be to use the recovery partition to return the operating system to the condition it came out of the box.  By doing this you will deleted any programs which were installed from a disc or download.  It will remove any personal data left on the hdd by the original owner.  If there is an infection this will remove it.  

If you don't do this you will need to remove any programs which you don't want manually.  You will need to run scans to determine if the computer is infected or not.  You will need to run a program like AdwCleaner to remove any unwanted toolbars and other trash which may have been installed from a download embedded with third party software which it isn't declined will automatically install itself.  You will need to run scans like sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r to determine the condition of the operating system files and the hdd.  There are other things which probably should be done, but I believe you get the point.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

Hi

Just as a heads up I have the same program in my startup on my Lenovo. I know it is from them as I did a full Lenovo Recovery a week after I got the computer. I was trying out the various Windows 8 Restore options and when I was done I Put it back to as delivered.

FWIW I disabled it shortly afterwards and do not see any difference in operation.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 safetybeef

safetybeef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

Thanks to everyone.  I think I'm going to disable it and note any difference in operation.  If it hampers processing speeds or crashes, I'll restore it to the original setting.  I just have no idea where and what this startup item operates as. 

!

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,783 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:35 PM

EASEUS Todo Backup Free Edition

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users