Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware galor on fresh installed Windows 8.1 machine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shankscomp

shankscomp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

I logged in through Safe Mode and ran Malwarebytes (updated before logging into safemode.  

Various websites (include MSN, google, facebook, craigslist) and other clean sites...  I get random pop-ups asking me to update chrome, or update NT drivers, or update movie player, or the lightspark player pro download.

Windows 8 doesn't allow combofix to run.  

Any suggestions to getting rid of these annoying pop-ups?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:55 AM

Download and install the free Malwarebytes, get it up to date, and do a scan.  If that doesn't fix it, get Defender up to date and do a full scan with it.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 shankscomp

shankscomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

wpgwpg, Malwarebytes was the first thing I did as I said in my post above.

#4 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

What exactly do you mean by "fresh installed Windows 8.1 machine"?  I got my Windows 8 computer on 2013_12_31, which used the configuration that came with the computer, initially.  Then about 30 days later, I got a boxed copy of Windows 8.1.  I did a nuke and pave, and all was well.  No popups, etc in either case, because when I setup my computer at the end of 2013/beginning of 2014, I turned off all automatic updates, except for AVAST.

Unless you disable automatic updates (windows and other programs), if available, THERE IS A CHANCE that these requests might be valid.  Just like on Windows updates, it will attempt to automatically update your system to 8.1U, unless you disable it.

Most PC manufacturers have preinstalled software that "calls home", to see if all the drivers are up to date, and if not, either automatically downloads the drivers, etc and tries to install them, or at least asks the user if it is AOK.

Best of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users