Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Battery Question...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 I have a computer...

I have a computer...

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:34 AM

Hi, this is probably a stupid question but...

I have a laptop and it gets very hot (The CPU and Motherboard are normally around 88°C and it gets slow at times), it is constantly sitting under an A/C which is normally on a high warm temperature so thats constantly making the laptop hot. I am not sure if I have any else to put the laptop but I will look into that.........

Anyway, a couple of months ago Windows told me that there was something wrong with the battery and that I should replace it.

I keep the laptop plugged in all the time with the battery in... I know thats not good.... so I guess thats what killed the battery... but anyway, the battery is still in the laptop and the laptop gets really hot, could the bad battery creat extra heat?

Would removing the battery from the laptop help it not get so hot?

Would it be okay to have the laptop plugged in without the battery?

What if there is a power failure and the laptop shuts down suddenly without a battery? Will that wreck it? Is that a risk?

Thanks

Edited by I have a computer..., 15 June 2014 - 06:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

Hi, this is probably a stupid question but...
I have a laptop and it gets very hot (The CPU and Motherboard are normally around 88°C (190°F) and it gets slow at times), it is constantly sitting under an A/C which is normally on a high warm temperature so that's constantly making the laptop hot. I am not sure if I have any else to put the laptop but I will look into that.........

Can't the laptop be relocated to a much cooler location?

Anyway, a couple of months ago Windows told me that there was something wrong with the battery and that I should replace it.
I keep the laptop plugged in all the time with the battery in... I know that's not good.... so I guess that's what killed the battery... but anyway, the battery is still in the laptop and the laptop gets really hot, could the bad battery create extra heat?

It's possible but the battery pack's cells might leak or burst too.

Would removing the battery from the laptop help it not get so hot?

Probably not - but only if the battery pack was the source of heat. Improbable as that may be.

Would it be okay to have the laptop plugged in without the battery?

Yes - sometimes it's not recommended. Still - yes.

What if there is a power failure and the laptop shuts down suddenly without a battery? Will that wreck it? Is that a risk?

If the battery pack is truly totally failed, loss of A.C. power results in an undisciplined Windows shutdown. Incomplete disk writes can corrupt a HDD/SSD. The risk is real but the probability is not easily calculated.

Does the laptop have an internal cooling fan that may be failed? Tell us the laptop's make/model number and a kind soul may look up the specs for you.

Boot the laptop to a non-Windows mode (edit bios, etc), unplug from A.C. power. How long the laptop stays active is a quick real world measure of the battery pack's condition.

HTH :)

Edited by 1PW, 15 June 2014 - 08:23 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users