Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:04 AM

I hsve a gateway nv53a laptop, it was working fine no problems and the last time I went to start it all I get is a black screen. It seems to be starting but then it stops and does nothing. The blue lights are on and there are no error beeps when I start it. I have removed the battery and the power supply and tried starting it with 1 or the other and with both.I left it off and came back to it hours later and it booted just fine. I didnt shut it down but when I came back to it later all I could get was the black screen again? What could be causing this? How do I fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:55 AM

Hello spngbobis4me:

The first thing that comes to mind is the internal cooling assembly ventilation fan may be failing as may be witnessed by high temperature (during failure) on the left-rear-bottom of the laptop, or no air flow through the laptop's rear ventilation opening.

Please refer to Gateway's NV53 Service Guide, pages 18 and 89 - 91.

Without dismantling yet, and in a very quiet environment, after a long cool down, can you start your laptop and hear/feel the internal ventilation fan working? Then upon failure, is the laptop quieter, i.e. has the ventilation fan stopped? Of course the ventilation fan may already be failed from startup.

If the internal cooling assembly ventilation fan is failing, and if this is a Field Replaceable Unit (FRU), a qualified person should be engaged to replace it, or this could be a Gateway mandated depot level repair.

HTH :)

Edited by 1PW, 15 June 2014 - 09:37 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

I dont think it is the cooling fans as it has never run hot. I can also hear the fans start up.but then it just stops. The power light is still on but I have a blank screen. It's like it didn't finish booting?

#4 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:12 PM

I dont think it is the cooling fans as it has never run hot. I can also hear the fans start up.but then it just stops. The power light is still on but I have a blank screen. It's like it didn't finish booting?

Have the symptoms changed since your first post?

Is the laptop still in the manufacture's warranty period?

Using any of the methods you related in your first post, are you still able to boot the system into Windows?

If you can not, referring to page 28 of the above Gateway Service Guide, can you enter (using the F2 key) the BIOS Setup Utility very early in the laptop's startup from a power off state?

If you can, just press the ESC key to exit and reply with your results.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#5 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

No they have not. I can not get to anything as. It doesnt stay on long enough? I get nothing on my screen. It starts and I can here the fan abd then it stops. The power light is still on but my screen is blank?

#6 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

O.K. it's working again? I reset it taking out the battery and the power plug. Also unplugged the hard drive and plugged it back in.

So for now it's running my windows normally, no problems. I still don't know why it wasn't booting to windows. I will run some tests and post the results soon.

#7 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

From the command promp it won't let me run the chkdsk? it flashes the screen for it but disappears right away.

Edited by spngbobis4me, 15 June 2014 - 08:31 PM.

#8 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:14 PM

That was a good idea to reseat those components. :)

Other than the failure to run the ChkDsk executable, has some state of normalcy returned to your laptop? Internet browsing, email, etc?

Can you describe your laptop's Windows Operating System (OS) in great detail?

Will your laptop's Windows OS allow you to run your security software such as Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware scans to completion?

Does Gateway deliver your laptop with any Windows OS independent self-diagnostic software?

Do you have access to any laptop compatible media that will boot-up independently from your Windows OS? e.g. CD, DVD, USB stick etc?

#9 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:55 AM

I am running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. When I reset it and it booted to windows everything was working good. I had no problems, all my programs were working, anti virus, internet ect. I did run the avg pc tune up. I didnt get a chance to run the malware as it has since shut down again?

#10 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:09 AM

I have usb and dvd on the laptop and I tried to get a windows cd to boot with start up but it wont stay on long enough to run it or let me even go to my start up options to force it to boot from the cd? I think I have an external cd drive, I will try to run my windows disk from that. I dont have any gateway diagnostics. I have a usb with my operating system on it but I think I will run into the same issue with it not staying on long enough to run it?

#11 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:03 AM

Just initially booting up from a USB device and letting the laptop just sit till failure, or not, is possible then.

Did you ever try just initially entering the BIOS setup mode and seeing how long that initial screen stays up?

This almost certainly reads like an internal power or hardware component failure.

Temporarily try starting the laptop without its battery pack (A.C. power only) might yield additional information.

However, anything further probably requires the services of a qualified laptop technician.

Please let us know...

Edited by 1PW, 17 June 2014 - 05:57 AM.

#12 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

I have not tried to boot from the usb. I cannot get to the bios because it doesnt boot up long enough?

#13 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

I have also tried to start without battery/power supply it didnt change anything. The battery is new and the power supply is good so I dont think that is the problem. Do you think it could he the hard drive since I got it to start when it was reseated?

#14 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

I tried changing the hard drive, same symptoms. I tried starting it after pulling the ram and one at a time, same symptoms.

#15 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:57 AM

I cannot get to the bios because it doesn't boot up long enough?

Entry to the BIOS setup screen is not by way of booting the Windows software, and that's really the purpose of this troubleshooting step.

From a true power off state, press the right-side's power button and quickly go to the F2 key and begin tapping the F2 key in rapid succession till you see the BIOS setup screen appear.  Reference: Page 28 of your Service Guide.

This should all have happened long before the system has even begun to boot-up your Windows software.

Once the BIOS setup screen has been established, take no additional action but wait the typical amount of time for your usual indications of failure.

If the usual failure occurs, in the approximate expected time period, Windows software and all other application software will have been eliminated and only suspected hardware elements can remain.

Please tell us what happens.

Edited by 1PW, 18 June 2014 - 01:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users