Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

"Error 0x80040154 Class not registered" with audio file tags

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jessen22

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:47 AM

I did this to myself :) Just hoping someone can guide me on how to fix it.

I wanted Windows Explorer to see tags and album art for FLAC and OGG audio, so I installed TagLibHandler a few weeks ago from sourceforge. It worked for metadata, but not for album art in my OGG files.

Just today, having forgotten that TagLibHandler was installed, I installed another software, AudioShell from its site at softpointer.com, to see if it would do a better job (read: anything at all) at showing me my album art in OGG files.

It didn't. But then I remembered, "hey, I have TagLibHandler still installed! I wonder if it's interfering with AudioShell! Maybe if I uninstall them both and then start with just AudioShell, it will be okay!"

To uninstall TagLibHandler, it's kind of weird. Basically, to install, TagLibHandler copies its DLL to the Program Files (x86) and Program Files folders (under /TagLibHandler/ for each) and then registers them and (in a way I don't know) gets Windows Explorer to use them to see the metadata in audio files.

And then to uninstall, you run the same installation program, but click the "Uninstall" button. When I clicked the Uninstall button, it paused for a few seconds (I assumed it was doing its stuff) and then disappeared. But the DLLs were still present in Program Files and Program Files (x86). I thought "whatever", and went ahead and deleted them..... (they're in my Recycle Bin right now :) )

Then I installed AudioShell. It also didn't show me the album arts for my OGG files. "Weird, oh well, maybe I haven't added the art correctly to my files, no big deal I guess". So I uninstall AudioShell.

At this point to my knowledge I have neither TagLibHandler nor AudioShell installed.

I log off and in again and try to view some metadata for my files. I notice that even OGG still has "Specify the genre" and "Specify the album artist" and stuff in the preview pane. That's funny, I thought--Windows Explorer is still aware that OGG is audio files even though it doesn't natively support it? Hmm. Then I go to some MP3 files that I know for sure have tags. The album art does display correctly, but......even those files now say "Specify the genre" and "Specify the album artist" and stuff. Uh oh, what have I done...!

So I enter some information in those boxes even though when opening them in Kid3 (from Sourceforge, a tag editor for KDE and Windows) I can see they have information. When I press Save, I get this thread's title!

So I broke Windows Explorer's ability to see any tags. (Although it apparently still sees album art.) I guess it's still trying to use TagLibHandler.

Wondering if someone has specific knowledge/has dealt with this before, since I'm curious. Is there a way for me to restore Windows Explorer's native tag-reading ability? Hopefully just a matter of regsvr32ing something? Would reinstalling WMP through Programs and Features do it? Should I use SFC, or...?

I actually have System Restore off as I don't have lots of room on some of my partitions anymore but I'm too cheap to upgrade my disk :)

In the meantime it looks like I can reinstall TagLibHandler or AudioShell to be able to see my metadata, but I don't want Windows Explorer to be broken without TLH's help :(

UPDATE 1: Haha it looks like on TagLibHandler's installer:

it's saying "[guid 875CB1A1-0F29-45de-A1AE-CFB4950D0B78 not registered]" in places where it OUGHT to show Windows's native support!

I googled that guid and found that it should be C:\windows\shmedia.dll. I searched my system for shmedia.dll and I got no results :( Interestingly, when I googled "shmedia", one of the results was a page of source code for TagLibHandler, so it looks like TLH did something to shmedia, and didn't undo that something.

I checked in the registry, and that GUID does not appear in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID where it belongs.

I'll break out my installation media and see if I can replace shmedia and use regsvr32 on it. Even if I do, though, I don't know if Explorer will start making use of it! I'll update soon.

UPDATE 2: Haha I can't find it on the installation media, checked \SOURCES\INSTALL.WIM\1\Windows and \SOURCES\INSTALL.WIM\2\Windows. It must be in \SOURCES\INSTALL.WIM somewhere, but in order to search for it I'd have to extract the whole thing somewhere, ew D:

I'll just do an SFC now and see what it says I guess

UPDATE 3: Haha I'm stupid, shmedia.dll is for Windows XP only. Looks like for Windows 7 I want MediaMetadataHandler.dll. I searched for it and it does exist! Let me try regsvr32ing it...

Okay "Specified module could not be found"

It exists only in my winsxs folder right now, so I guess it's there as a backup or an old version? I don't wanna copy it out of there... I'll wait for the SFC to complete. Also hmm just curious, I'm going to do a Windows Update check. Maybe it'll realize it's missing.

..no, Update didn't find anything. SFC found some stuff but CBS.log didn't contain "mediamet". I'll run SFC with /scannow to fix the other stuff, though, I guess. Of course I will turn System Restore back on first and create a point :)

Edited by jessen22, 15 June 2014 - 02:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jessen22

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:37 AM

Update 1: I lied, MP3 works only while WMP is installed, and no other formats work with or without WMP. Aaarrrghh.

Looks like you should do a repair install (backup, then upgrade overtop of current OS with your installation media) or just reinstall the OS if you need to get this functionality back.

I've found a new software called Icaros which might do what I need without causing explorer.exe to crash randomly so I will try it now.

Update 2: Icaros doesn't do much... guess I'll get taglibhandler back up and running if I can; AudioShell seems to cause random c0000005s with explorer.exe.

Issue fixed for MP3, but not M4A.

Leaving this here for future people who are pulling their hair out of their head. I HOPE this works for you!

Special thanks to a random Russian thread and Google Translate.

1) Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off. In the Media Features branch, uninstall Windows Media Player if it isn't already installed. (It was already uninstalled for me, but most of you will have it installed, so uncheck its box and click OK and wait.)

2) Reboot #1.

3) Download and run The Windows Club's Fix WMP utility. (Use the blue Download File button on that page.)

4) Reboot #2.

5) Go to Turn Windows features on or off again. If the Media Features branch has a box in it but all of its contained items are blank, clear its box and click OK and wait.

6) Reboot #3.

7) Re-install WMP from Turn Windows features on or off.

8) Reboot #4.

9) You should have native Windows tag-reading ability back for MP3s! For some reason I didn't get it back for M4As or MP4s D: At this point if you want you can uninstall WMP if you don't want it.

Edited by jessen22, 25 June 2014 - 02:55 AM.

#3 jessen22

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

Final follow-up for random wanderers of the internet, because I know how much it sucks to find a thread with your exact problem and then there just isn't a conclusion.

I gave up and re-installed the operating system; since then, everything's been working.

Sorry if this disappoints anyone who was hoping for a solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users