Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus T100TA Transformer Book Applications

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:28 AM

Let's try to keep this simple, after all I'm still going through tech school so I'm not the smartest guy.

I purchased and received an Asus T100TA tablet/laptop-whatever you want to call it. It came with several options as far as memory. I decided to save a hundred bucks and just replace the extra 32gb of internal memory with a 32gb sd card. Yes, I realize they are much slower than the internal SDD but I still want to use it as an app storage device.

Now the problem with this is that Asus and the Microsoft store have some licensing problems and we (the consumer) are unable to transfer any apps downloaded from the store to an external device, such as an sd card. I'll bet you know what I'm about to say next!

Yes, I do want to transfer them to my sd! But...it's a little different than you may imagine... I actually want to use that sd to extend the internal SDD's memory space so that when it runs out of memory it automatically starts storing the excess data on the card (I know, it's dangerous if I disconnect the sd card while its reading or writting memory from/to it if it thinks it's part of the internal SDD. I'm familiar with the risks.)

So my question to you is not can but how it can be done! I've put some major research into this topic and have gone as far as mounting the sd card as a folder on the sdd which allows me to store items on the "SDD" when in reality it's being routed to the sd. However, I can't control the installation directory for apps from the app store and I want them to be stored on the sd card if I run out of memory.

So how do I trick the system into believing the sd is part of the internal SDD?

I'm using Windows 8

Asus T100TA 32Gb, 500gb Dock

Thanks,

Daniel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:54 AM

EDIT!: 

I tried serveral solutions in the past hour or so.

The closest to working was...

Enabling the view of hidden folders, finding and locating the "WindowsApps" folder which was under the "Programs Files" folder, backing up the folder and coping it to my clipboard, deleting the "WindowsApps" folder, mounting my sd under the name of "WindowsApps" (I read somewhere that Windows8.1 could not determine the difference between a mounted folder and a normal folder so it would read the same) which I then located under the "Programs Files" folder. This resulted in any installing apps to be located in the SD card under WindowsApps. Further more, starting any preinstalled apps would result in their crashing. Any new apps would pop up an error message which read "Windows cannot start this app, click below to refresh" (or something similar), being that this pc uses touch gestures which are not native to windows 8 I can't refresh my pc without the loss of these files-sorry gotta have that toutch screen, it's the whole reason for spending 400 bucks on this tiny laptop! Refreshing, from my belief would undo any recent changes anyway... 

To prevent any further damage to my system I reverted the changes by deleting the mount link and creating a new folder labeled "WindowsApps" and applying the "hidden" attribute to make it look like the original folder-at least to me, then by pasting the origonal files into the folder. All applications work so far, no crashing.

One major difference is that under the permissions window "TrustedInstaller" no longer shows up. I hope everything'll still work...

One thing I must explain first is that I did use a reg tweak to take ownership of the "WindowsApps" folder which then allowed me to change the contents and even delete the whole folder. Without that none of this would've been possible. 

In short my idea was to go about having the system install the apps not by default to the sd card but to unknowingly store them there.

I assumed that if an app needed to read data it would read it from "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\APPLICATIONFOLDER" and since "WindowsApps" was now a link to my sd that it would actually read it from the sd thinking it was reading it from the C drive. Sadly, this did not work-obviously might I add, because the apps crashed every time I opened an old one and would not even try to read the files if it was newly installed.

I believe I know why they can't be read as well! 

If I opened an application folder there would sometimes be an execution file stored inside. When I selected this file, which was copied to the sd card, it would pop up saying that it needed to be ran in an "App Space." I'm wiling to bet this is a seperate, shall we say, workspace-another hidden desktop- which allows for the running of apps. And I have a follow up theory! When you cascade one app to the left of the screen a black (blue, red, yellow, etc. Depends on your accent color, I believe.) screen is displayed to the right. I believe this is the secret "desktop" or workstation which is outfitted to start the start screen when clicked-which in turn allows users to select an application to run.

If I can get this "App Space" to run on command then I bet I can get any app to run from any drive I want-so long as they are installed there and not copied!

Maybe this is all craziness, but I really believe I'm on to something seeing as how very little is known about the apps located in Windows 8, at least the ones that are downloaded from the store. 

One last thing, if this App Space isn't real, then why doesn't it show your desktop or start screen automatically when you cascade one window? Because it's running the App Space, the cascaded app isn't running on your desktop. If it was you wouldn't be able to switch to your desktop while using an app because it would go back to the app. Same for the start screen.

Hopefully, I'm not crazy. Someone let me know...

Thanks,

Daniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users