Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB CD/DVD Drive "Malfunctioning" and Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:02 AM

Hello,

I purchased an LG SP60NB50 external CD/DVD drive today to use with my Windows 8.1 ultrabook. Unfortunately, when I insert the drive's USB 2.0 into the ultrabook's USB 2.0 port, I receive the following error message: "one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

The device is listed as Windows 8 compatible. I can't imagine it would be compatible with Win8 and not Win8.1.

So far, I've tried
  • uninstall/reinstall via Device Manager
  • rebooting with the device already connected after an uninstall
  • creating the DisableSelectiveSuspend = 1 DWORD value in the registry
  • deleting all USB devices listed in Device Manager via Safe Mode
  • And I did all of these steps while keeping the USB PowerShare (where you can charge devices via USB even when the laptop is off) disabled in the BIOS.
From my research, it seems like the next step is to deprive the motherboard of any possible power (i.e., remove the power supply and battery). Unfortunately, due to the machine's design, this is not possible.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
r0d3r1ck

EDIT
The device is not actually malfunctioning; it works perfectly on a Windows 7 laptop, also with a USB 2.0 port.

Edited by R0D3R1CK, 15 June 2014 - 12:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

That does sound strange.  Have you checked with LG?  Maybe you need a driver for it to work with 8.1.  That's where I'd start.  

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:15 AM

I'm planning to check with LG Customer Service on Monday, as a driver issue does seem like the likely culprit.

Clicking "Driver Details" yields a message that there are no drivers. I even tried to use the drivers that were installed on my Windows 7 laptop, but to no avail.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

Have you tried attaching to the USB 3 port if available?

#5 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

I have, but not as many times as I have with the USB 2.0 port. I suppose I could go back and try all the different possible solutions with USB 3, but the issue really seems related to the drivers.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

According to here, it's certified for 8.1

Edit: there was a major update in April that was supposed to have eliminated the need for the registry hack if that is indeed the problem.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 June 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#7 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

Those are good finds, JohnC_21.

It looks like I have the update. My USBSTOR.SYS is dated March 27, 2014

#8 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

Problem solved. I don't know why -- and I'm not sure I want to know :lol: -- but trying a third USB port (a second USB 3.0 port) worked.

Thanks for the help, you two!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users