Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to factory restore after virus, sad situation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 game of thrones

game of thrones

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:59 PM

Hi Guys,

I hope you're enjoying the world cup or whatever else is going on in your lives.

I'll be as succinct as possible.

-Intel Core i5 450M (2.40GHz)
-4GB Memory 500GB HDD
-ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

- Two days ago I got a virus after downloading a file for patching a game (kitserver for pro evolution soccer 6).

- An .eml file was created in every folder in my computer, my free AVG antivirus would find so many threats that it would crash. I got free Bitdefender and got rid of all threats (as far as humble yours truly can tell). I also ran Malwarebytes antivirus which found no problems. Then I ran AVG scan again which ran properly and found no issues.

- I must have quarantined and deleted some 10,000 threats with Bitdefender and my computer is a mess with many programs working oddly and some not working at all.

- I wanted to recover my system to factory default but the recovery management tool has disappear (probably deleted by Bitdefender).
- I looked for my recovery CD's which I made 4 years ago as suggested by Gateway, but lo and behold Disc 2 out of 3 was missing!!! (I only have 1,3 and the Drivers and apps CD)

- I tried two file recovery free programs but they only recover files that were deleted manually and not those deleted by antivirus.

- There is an option to buy the recovery from Gateway website but I'd like to try to solve this without having to spend that money.

1.  I'm about to do a Windows system restore to see if it helps in any way but based on what I have heard it probably won't.

2. I will then try to run a recovery as if I can't boot into windows 7. (https://neosmart.net/wiki/gateway-recovery-disk/#If_you_can8217t_boot_into_Windows_7)

Can you guys please help? What other options do I have?

Can I use the disks 1 and 3 for anything?

THANKS!

Edited by hamluis, 15 June 2014 - 11:57 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

Sounds like your running two Antivirus programs on your system,this by itself will cause problems,you should uninstall Bitdefender of AVG.

Try system restore and see if it works.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

You should not even have two antivirus programs installed on a computer, much less running the two.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Credit for this information goes to quietman7.

Please post the logs from the antivirus scans.

Please run the ESET OnlineScan

• Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

Please run the new version of Malwarebytes Anti Malware in Safe Mode with Networking so you can download the software.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.  After clicking on the link the download will start automatically.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  Malwarebytes will automatically open.  If this is the first time you have run this version of Malwarbytes you will see an image like the one below.

mbam1_zps95cc812c.png

Click on Update Now, after Malwarebytes is updated click on Scan.

If this isn't the first time you have run this version, then you will see an image like the one below.  Click on Scan

mbam1_zps98e7fba9.png

You will be prompted to update Malwarebytes, to do so click on Update Now.

mbam2_zps85f38f0c.png

3)  The scan will automatically run now.

mbamreplace_zps3ead4824.png

4)  When the scan is complete the results will be displayed.  Click on Quarantine All, then click on Apply Actions

mbam4_zps23e52ad4.png

5)  To complete any actions taken you will be asked if you want to restart your computer, click on Yes

mbam4_zps490948cc.png

6)  Please post the Malwarebytes log.

To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  When the log opens, scroll down toward the bottom of the log to Quarantined Items.  Copy and paste this in your next post.

Edited by dc3, 15 June 2014 - 01:09 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dolphin365

dolphin365

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

My only suggestion to format all the things, and reinstall the os again you may find a solution.......

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

My only suggestion to format all the things, and reinstall the os again you may find a solution.......

There other avenues which should be explored before even thinking of doing anything as drastic as what you are suggesting.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users