Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fault with Windows 7 Program Compatibility Wizard

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Yepytzme

Yepytzme

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

Hi folk, I see that this video

Windows 7 Program Compatibility Wizard 

is about 5 years old but it pertains to a specific problem I am having which also relates to the topics in the wizard video although the wizard didn't help at all.

I have been trying to install a program for over 3 weeks now but even with the assistance of the program's customer support (we've tried a multitude of solutions) I still cannot install the program.  Each time I tried I kept getting a pop up window that said 'system administrator will not allow the installation of this program'.  After a few tweeks I was able to finally install the program..BUT..when I clicked on the .exe program to start the setup, now I keep getting the following pop up "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation".  This has really got me baffled, mostly because I AM the system administrator!  I even went so far as to set my computer from 'administrator' to 'standard' where by it was supposed to allow me or anyone to install any program I wanted without denial (which is how I finally got to install the program but it still will not let me set up the program.

How do I get this (expletive personally deleted) Window 7 64 bit program and computer to accept my instruction/command and do what I tell it to do?

Three week trying to install a program?

Please help, I'm at my wit's end and just short of driving a sledge hammer through it.

Thanks, please reply to my email.

Yepytzme.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:34 PM

I will probably not be much help here....however, you have piqued my curiosity.

What is the name of the program you are trying to install ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:19 AM

It has happened with a few other programs that I tried and eventually either did finally get them installed or I just gave up.  This program in particular is and email program called "IncrediMail", it is one of the products of a very world wide know company calledPerion.  I ran the email program for about 5 years on my old Windows XP, then upgraded to W7 32 bit, and worked pretty well on W7 but then I got sorely hacked and lost all my programs and files (deleted by a hacker) so I had to buy an new computer and the knuckleheads at the computer shop installed W7 64 bit instead of the 32 bit which I feel is part of the problem.  Anyhow, I ran the compatibility program, as per the IncrediMail customer support who suggested I run it compatible with WXP but even that didn't work.

IncrediMail is undoubtedly one of the best email programs I've ever seen...blows away everything else out there.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:52 AM

Try following the instructions here...

Create a registry backup First  using  THIS

Creating a system restore point would also be a good idea.

Click on START....type in SYSTEM RESTORE in the search box.....click on Create Restore Point....Create ....follow the prompts from there

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/the-system-administrator-has-set-policies-to/71d2a00c-0e87-4fe1-abae-4b44b4dbeef4

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

Sorry condobloke but that's not even close.  Where would I set the restore point if this started exactly when I bought this new computer.  It never worked from the start so there is no restore point...unless I restore my [new W7 64bit] CP to a few years ago when I was running [the old 32bit] Windows XP...(not!).  Please note this quote from another Windows user..viz;

"the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation" I receive this message when I try to load programs and when I try to uninstall programs on Windows 7. All I found was ways to correct this if I'm using Vista or XP. These don't seem to apply to Windows 7

I myself did find ways to correct this but it only worked for the install but did not work for the setup (see my previous post).

yepytzme [flustercated]

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

I think you have misunderstood me.......I am asking you to create a restore point before you proceed with the steps shown in ::http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/the-system-administrator-has-set-policies-to/71d2a00c-0e87-4fe1-abae-4b44b4dbeef4    and also to backup your registry as well before proceeding.

I am advising this just in case something goes awry with the steps in that Microsoft tutorial.   Better to be safe than sorry.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

Ok, first of all the person who wrote those instruction obviously doesn't really know anything about Windows 7, viz:

#1.There is no 'Local Security Policy' under Administration Tools...

#3.There is no "New Software Restriction Policy” anywhere under Admin Tools...

#4.Nor is there anything like "ALL USERS EXCEPT LOCAL ADMINISTRATORS” anywhere on my system

#5.See the snapshot and tell me where to find said topics

So how can I perform a task when the instruction don't even make sense?

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:32 PM

Method 1

1. Start button, type 'admin tools" into the search program and files area

2.. Double click admin tools

3. Double click "local security policy"

4. left click on software restriction policies in the left hand column and in the right hand column you should see 'enforcement'

5.double click on enforcement and set the policy to "all users except local administrators.

Ignore Method 2

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

And THAT is exactly part of the problem...nobody seems to want to actually READ the message I send before they reply.

What part of;

There is no 'Local Security Policy' under Administration Tools

There is no "New Software Restriction Policy” anywhere under Admin Tools..

Did you not read or understand?

[One cannot put a horse before the cart if one does not have a horse!]

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:27 PM

Hello Yepytzme -

I ran the compatibility program, as per the IncrediMail customer support who suggested I run it compatible with WXP but even that didn't work

I do not wish to comment on the program, this is just trying to help you install it.

So I will try another route for you ........

http://www.facebook.com/IncrediMail < Just a link and no more.

First is this the program you want to install Get IncrediMail free email program ??

Second, this may help us access the program. What Antivirus / Antimalware programs are active (see below) ??

Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE
* Save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe icon
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* Soon a Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt;

* Please Copy and Paste the contents of that document back here.
Note: If any security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Third, is this a current or former company owned and /or regulated computer ??

Fourth, please note that many "earlier programs (XP)" will not install on Windows 7 (but I have seen IncrediMail on Win 7)

#11 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:50 PM

Hello noknojon,

Yes, that's the program, also accessible at IncrediMail.com.

Here is the Checkup txt.;

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.85  
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is disabled!)  
 Internet Explorer 11  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
Microsoft Security Essentials   
 Antivirus up to date!  
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
  Adobe Flash Player 13.0.0.214 Flash Player out of Date!  
 Mozilla Firefox (30.0)
 Google Chrome 35.0.1916.114  
 Google Chrome 35.0.1916.153  
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 Microsoft Security Essentials MSMpEng.exe
 Microsoft Security Essentials msseces.exe
 ESET NOD32 Antivirus egui.exe  
 ESET NOD32 Antivirus ekrn.exe  
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 0%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

This is not a company owned or previously owned computer.  I purchased the bare bones at a computer shop including all the hardware, motherboard, ram, etc., they installed all the paraphernalia.  I had a Windows 7 disc which I also purchased from another computer shop.  It was supposed to convert/upgrade my original computer running Windows XP to Windows 7, which it did but my computer got sorely hacked to the point where I lost everything so I had to purchase a new computer.  The computer shop used my window disc, which after checking found they found it could be used to install windows 7 on my new computer.  Problem is they installed windows 7 on a 64 bit system and I don't know if that may be the cause of the problems.  All I know is on several previous installs of new programs I had to work around the install because a window kept popping up saying the actions were set by the system administrator to prevent this installation.  This is the same pop up that I get when I try to set up the IncrediMail program.

Thank you,

Yepytzme

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:09 PM

OK -

First is this the program you want to install >> Get IncrediMail free email program ??

This is their Home Page and the program can (should be) downloaded from there. Scroll to the bottom for Downloads.

While you install the program FIRST read and follow Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus as you have 2 Antivirus programs installed.

Your choice of, Microsoft Security Essentials exe and ESET NOD32 Antivirus exe / <<< I will help you remove one of these.

Tell me the one to Remove Fully This will be the First section, then we "Disable" the one you keep during the download .....

Your next move -

#13 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

Ok, (you should have read my reply from yesterday noknojon, viz;

"Hello noknojon,

Yes, that's the program, also accessible at IncrediMail.com.")

I have been communicating with IncrediMail support team for close to a month now, they have been supplying me with a multitude of suggestions, NONE of which have worked yet, including your suggestion.  I disabled my MSE, I disabled my ESET NOD 32 Antivirus exe, and also disabled ALL network firewalls.  The install, after weeks of finagling, has already been installed, it's the setup that does not work (was going to send a snapshot of the error but this site claims its too big to upload), in essence this is what the error message says;

"IncrediMail Installer Information"

"Error 2753. The File 'imsetup.exe' is not marked for installation."

I've relayed that information to IncrediMail support and they've asked me to try it again, which I did...three times now, with the same result.

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:07 PM

The primary concern with using more than one anti-virus program is due to conflicts that can arise when they are running in real-time mode simultaneously. However, even when one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone scanner, it can affect the other. Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, they both may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Each anti-virus will often interpret the activity of the other as a virus and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to a "False Positive". If one finds a virus and then the other also finds the same virus, both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus. Each anti-virus will attempt to remove the offending file and quarantine it. If one finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a virus has been found when that is not the case.

Anti-virus scanners use virus definitions to check for viruses and these can include a fragment of the virus code which may be recognized by other anti-virus programs as the virus itself. Because of this, most anti-virus programs encrypt their definitions so that they do not trigger a false alarm when scanned by other security programs. However, some anti-virus vendors do not encrypt their definitions and will trigger false alarms if used while another resident anti-virus program is active.

To avoid these problems, use only one anti-virus solution. Deciding which one to remove is your choice.

Most anti-virus vendors recommend that you install and run only one anti-virus program at a time:
Symantec's statement.
Avast's statement.
AVG's statement.
Dell Support advises the same for their systems.

Credit : quietman7

Yepytzme. Read the preceding paragraphs and then consider noknojons post No.12

Edited by Condobloke, 19 June 2014 - 11:18 PM.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#15 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:30 PM

I know all that, it's nothing new to me.  To be on the 'safe' side I uninstalled ESET (as well as all the registry items associated with it) and totally disable mse and I still cannot 'set up' the program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users