Stopping way short of formatting and restarting my laptop.... can I get back my security??
Around the second week in May 2014 I have noticed some different patterns that made me suspicious of some unknown activity on my laptop. I'll list them for you.
Firstly this is a one user laptop with no other accounts. I am using WiFi through a Stealth 300 router with a WEP2 security. Factory installed Win 8 Dell Inspiron 17R SE
- Log on Screen opens to switch user ( I never ever use this feature)
- After log on start screen opens straight to “My Computer” rather than Desktop
- Router Name NEXXT appears and disappears randomly
- Unable to reconnect to NEXXT router using given passwords only doing so after many attempts
- After start up, folders found in minimise layout
- One instance of “Unable to stop flash drive as someone is accessing it”
- Internet assigned homepage resorts back to “about blank” instead of Google
- Encrypted flash drive.... is open and running upon startup of PC
- Netstat- b shows active connection without ownership
- No activity on flashdrive yet when eject option is used it says it cannot be carried out as its in use
- My You tube history as of yesterday is showing in my history a video I never saw before or knowingly viewed.
- I have no technical training in network security at all so I have been just viewing videos of how to check see if another instance is running on my PC. Netstat-ano shows several users and well as stated earlier netstat - b shows at least 2 connections which carry no ownership and are also configured in gibberish eg rather than groups of numbers seperated by dots and colons. I have these 2 TCP addressess listed as a combo of letters and numbers with double colons and brackets also included in it's make up. A internet search of this IP address returns.... nothing.
- Another PC at home ( hard wired) has been checked and "seems" ok .. except for dgen.exe being present on it
Edited by Nigelajodha, 14 June 2014 - 11:18 PM.