Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing Programs And Crashing Problems.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GriggsD

GriggsD

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:07 AM

Hello! Again I come to you in need. Recently, on advice of a friend, I downloaded America's Army. This is where the problems started and when I should have taken hint and dropped it. Everytime the download would hit 99.9% with firefox's download manager, Firefox and it's DL manager would go nonresponsive and be uncloseable even to the windows task manager (only a reset would fix it). I tried again, using a different download site. Same problem occured at 99.9%.

This is when I got bothered and used Bit Tornado to download the file to a different folder. Then the problem really started. Whenever I go to My Download (the place both firefox tries went to) and try to delete both incomplete files, the My Computer browser goes unresponsive like Firefox. I use the task manager to close it and then my entire desktop (except background) disappears, forcing me to manually restart. Also, whenever I go to the folder I saved the file with Bit Torndado (which finishes), the same problem will happen there whenever I scroll down and the file would appear (does it on the row right above it and when I try to scroll down).

I've run my McAffee virus scanner and multiple spyware scanners, but those have come up clean. I've set my computer back to the day before I downloaded the files and it's still happening. I'm using XP Home, which came already installed on my Dell machine. I don't have an XP CD.

Any help at all would really be appreciated. I can live with those 3 wasted gigs and unaccessable folders, but I would rather not.

Awaiting your adivce.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I cannot access Safe Mode either. It stops loading .sys's at this one (alp..q....something I think) and says Hit ESC to skip some other .sys. It does nothing if I don't and nothing if I do. Just stays on that screen with a long list of .sys's.

Edited by GriggsD, 27 May 2006 - 11:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GriggsD

GriggsD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:10 PM

I've resolved all problems by using Eraser to delete all three download attempts. Please close this thread.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:43 PM

I've resolved all problems by using Eraser to delete all three download attempts. Please close this thread.

Excellent! Thanks for posting back and telling of the solution.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users