Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVAST - Your Subscription Has Successfully Renewed. RipOFF

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

Last year I got Avast internet security for a friend, A full paid for subscription for 12 months. Well as these things do it expired.

My big problem now is that Digitalriver just charged my credit card again without my consent for another 12 months subscription. WTF.

Members are advised to be extra carefull when dealing with Avast or DigitalRiver. They stole money from my account.

Members are advised to use care when dealing with Avast and digital river. I did not select the auto renewal option.

AVAST AND OR DIGITALRIVER STOLE MY MONEY

Auto-Renewal Order Summary  

Product:
avast! Internet Security - 1 PC, 1 Year

Order ID:
134046XXXX

Price Charged:
Subtotal: A$ 39.99
Tax: A$ 0.00
Total: A$ 39.99

Auto-Renewal Plan  

Auto-Renewal Plan Terms

By completing your purchase, you have authorized Digital River to automatically renew your purchased license for successive renewal terms equal in length to your initial license term but no longer than 1 year, at the then-current renewal license price (plus applicable taxes) using your payment information provided for your initial purchase, until you cancel.

At least one email will be sent to you to remind you of each upcoming renewal. The Digital River Terms of Sale and Privacy Policy will apply to each renewal transaction. You also agree that Digital River may, upon notice to you, transfer your responsibility for the processing of renewals of your purchased license under the Auto-Renewal Plan to Avast Software a.s. (“Avast”), in which case Digital River will transfer your billing information to Avast or their payment processor, and Avast’s terms of sale and privacy policy provided to you in Avast’s reminder email will apply to each renewal transaction.

You may cancel your auto-renewal plan at any time by logging into the My Subscriptions portal (access information are included in this email or on the Customer Service Help page), selecting your product, and selecting the option to disable automatic renewal.

By completing your purchase, you have authorized Digital River to automatically renew your purchased license for successive renewal terms equal

I did no such thing when I got the original subscription.

There is going to be hell to pay for over this. Everywhere I go every forum I am a member of I will warn others to not buy anything from Avast and its theaving puppet Digital River.

I am now the proud owner of 12 months subscrition to Avast I have no use for. 

Maybe I can run it on Linux.

Edited by NickAu1, 14 June 2014 - 08:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:39 PM

No, that license is for a Windows install, Avast is Free for Linux (if you want to jump through the hoops to install). 

You can demand a refund & have the right to, as long as it's within the refund period. Yes I've dealt with Digital River myself & caught that clause & it was for Avast Internet Security. In 2 days my money was back in my account, once I caught it was auto renew. I believe they slide this stuff in, because as you, I didn't see it in the agreement, but it was there on my email receipt in smaller print. 

Don't take this laying down, otherwise DR will walk all over you. Contact DR & contact your back letting them know that you're contesting the charges for documentation. 

And that's another reason when I do buy security, I grab Newegg promos (boxed software). No 3rd parties & as often as promos comes in, there's no need to pay more than $25 for 1 year/3PC licenses of many popular AV's & IS suites, a huge savings of cash. Usually the only catch is one needs to download the current version, then activate, as the software is on promo because on the box it's 1-2 versions behind. These won't sell on shelves, so sites such as newegg scoops them up for pennies on the dollar & pass the savings on to their loyal customers (these are email promo codes only). 

Finally, that's another reason why I ask for a new debit card every year, it's at no cost & will have a different account number. Even if such a deal was wasn't caught by me, they'd be stonewalled when they submit the invoice for payment. 

The only use that I have for DR is the fact that they host Windows 7 ISO's for download, many Windows 7 customers doesn't have one for clean install for when desired. After 3-4 years, the junk software from the reinstall partition is well dated, the computer is out of warranty & it's time for a nice, clean install of Windows 7. If the COA on the PC doesn't work, there's keyfinders that can fish these from the BIOS. I've done this on several occasions, though a phone activation (with a human) was required, all was legit after the entering of a string of numbers. 

Many whom purchased Windows 7 computers when first released had so much crap software that a clean install was basically a necessity. Especially if it came from HP. 

Next time you see DR on anything, just close the page & delete browser history. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,584 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:45 PM

Reminds me of installing a program and not reading the eula, and then getting "loaded" with a bundle of crap......

Commiserations mate......give em hell !!

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 11,732 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

I just looked at the original transaction of when I paid for the subscription, There is no mention of DigitalRiver, There is no mention of autorenew, And guess what? I can log into my avast account, I can download the activation  easy, Yet when it comes to trying to cancel the subscription, Guess what? No such account exists or so they say. How can they say no such account exists when I am logged into my Avast account .

2rotcib.png

2llfz7p.png

Looks like more lies from Avast.

Edited by NickAu1, 14 June 2014 - 10:32 PM.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:10 PM

No, it's Digital River. They handle the payments of many types of software. They take their cut & forward the rest to the software company. 

This means that Avast didn't get the payment. You should have a contact phone number in the DR email & another on your debit/credit card. You have rights with credit cards that varies from region to region & usually a 24/7 phone number for customer service. 

Get on the phone. Credit card companies normally takes care of these issues Fast. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 11,732 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:03 AM

Just spoke to my bank, Payment canceld.

Companys using Autorenew is against my banks TOS, As far as the bank was concearned I authorised that payment a few minutes before the transaction went thru, And DigitalRobber agreed to those TOS when they requested payment from my bank. If they had known it was auto renew they wouldnt have paid up , Looks like DigitalRobber has some explaining to do to 1 of the biggest banks in this country.

Edited by NickAu1, 15 June 2014 - 12:15 AM.

#7 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:57 AM

DR is a crap shoot at best.  Seems anything allied with Microsoft is a pain at best.  You are doing the right thing, depending on where you live you have the right to a free yearly credit report from the big 3 companies.  (This of course is the rules in the United States), Australia I hope, has better ones. 

Anywho,

Wait for a month to do this, or do ONLY ONE credit agency, and in a month run another.  I do I report every 4 months that way I get a look at my credit 3 times a year for free. 

In the united states you can get a totally FREE report from https://www.annualcreditreport.com/  THIS IS THE ONLY site I know of that does it TOTALLY FOR FREE with no accounts, adds etc.  I don’t work there, just letting yall know the facts. 

This site will send you through to each of the credit agencies—TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax—.  From there you have a bunch of weird questions that you have to answer to make sure it’s you and not someone else.  If you don’t trust the link, and I totally understand that, google search the site, or term and go from there.

This will let you know IF DR did what they said they would, and gives you tools to dispute it and fix it.  I did this with student loans that were paid in full on time and were marked by the STATE as late, but paid in full and on time.... which didn’t make sense.  So you never can tell, but I got it fixed.  Just make a paper trail, and get names and times for all phone calls and emails etc. 

Lastly, I recommend ID theft insurance... again in the USA, other countries might have different and better (i hope) laws for you. 

By, ID theft insurance I DO NOT mean a service like LIFE LOCK, which is crap, I mean one that fixes your issues, gives you cash, and does all the paperwork, to clean up your life.  Which can take months if not years to fix.  Your credit card and debit card have certain protections already, but that protection does not clean up, liens, warrants, debit collectors etc.  That is what you need should this happen.  So in your current situation, you could use these services and the ID insurance team would do the calling, paperwork all that crap and fix the money issue right off the bat. 

There are many companies two I like are USAA, and Zander Insurance, (zander Insurance has a 100% success rate BTW).  Most are less than $20 a month which is more than most spend on tacos for hangovers in the USA.  They work for me.

Resources and links:

Zander INS (again I don’t work there or anything like that, I just use them)

USAA.com

Debit Tools and Resources via Dave Ramsey

Annual Credit Report

Life Lock Issues and Facts on ID Theft

Hope this helps

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:39 PM

Maybe this explains why MS went with Arvato Digital Services to distribute the Windows 8 Pro promo, rather than DR, as with Windows 7. 

czarboom, I take advantage of that once yearly credit report & am glad that have that opportunity to make sure someone isn't racking up a ton of bills in my name. Thanks for the additional links, USAA.com offers a wide variety of services at affordable pricing, in addition to identity theft protection. 

Nick, glad you got this cleared up! I now know if purchasing anything & DR is the payment processor, to close the page & run CCleaner. Though I purchase very little software by download anymore. Most of what I buy are Newegg promos. 

Cat

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 11,732 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:53 AM

I think respectable company's like Avast ( and they do make a great product) need to realise that re sellers like DigitalRiver are damaging their brand and need to dump them before the damage is beyond repair.

Think of it this way.

How many have and will read this post? And how many of the people who have read this post will think twice about paying for a product knowing that DigitalRiver is the middle man?

Sorry Avast you made your bed, Trouble is your bed bug bit me.

Seems anything allied with Microsoft is a pain at best

I do see your point.  However to be fair Microsoft was not involved in this. And people ask me why I use Linux.

The credit card in question was a pre paid Visa card I used for online shopping and has now been de activated and destroyed.

New card should be here this week.

Edited by NickAu1, 16 June 2014 - 04:58 AM.

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

I bought Avast! licenses for all of my machines when they had the $9.99 for a year deal.  Well, my year is up and I'm not renewing due to how Avast! has been pushing ads for their other products on my paid version.   I'll have to watch my cards in the coming month or so.  Whenever I do anything that could be construed to be a subscription I either use a one time use credit card number, a lot of companies have this feature, or make very sure that the payment is one time only.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

I've noticed that Cleverbridge is handling more of these type of offers lately, they're who handles my manual renewal of Perfect Disk Pro (version 13 now) yearly. It's due next month. 

The initial purchase of the software for unlimited home use back in 2011 was $29.99, however for $9.99 yearly, one gets guaranteed upgrades for as long as the fee is paid. I'm sent an email to remind me to pay, as long as it's paid by the date in the email, the software continues to receive updates & support. The software can still be installed after end of support, if lapses, but no future upgrades or email/phone support available. 

Not that I use HDD's on many computers as OS installs anymore, however there's a couple & Perfect Disk's defrag engine is among the best. Like Avast's boot time scan works to detect threats that can't be when Windows is running, Raxco's product has a similar way to defrag, the sys & page files cannot be defragmented while Windows is running. 

As to Avast, I do run the Free version on a Windows 8.1 Pro install that's seldom used & have took notice myself of the popup ads to upgrade. I've also seen that they've added a new tier "Premier". So Avast now has 4 options, Free, Pro AV, Internet Security & Premier. It appears as though Nexway is now handling Avast, as well as some other popular software choices, not DR, though this may vary in other regions. 

http://corporate.nexway.com/nexway-us/

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 18 June 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#12 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

I do see your point.  However to be fair Microsoft was not involved in this. And people ask me why I use Linux.

Ha, who would of thought that Microsoft was not involved in it, I didnt look it up to be honest, good catch.  I just assume like with Comcast and TWC, that if there is evil a foot, Microsoft is somewhere at the sceen of the crime.  :devil:  BILL CRUSH STUFF GOOD!!

NOTE:  In the USA, if you are going to or at your Dr's Office, THEY CANNOT ASK YOU TO PROVIDE YOUR Social Security NUMBER, it's aganist HIPPA Law, and they medical community only uses it for Collections.  Meaning they are barred from using to for personal identification, your records, images, etc, etc.  That being the case NEVER give it too them.  Most new patient forms are not offically protected parts of the medical record and they are not held responsable if your SSN is stolen off of those.    Just a TIP for yall,

KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE..... GO JOE!!!......

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:23 PM

NOTE:  In the USA, if you are going to or at your Dr's Office, THEY CANNOT ASK YOU TO PROVIDE YOUR Social Security NUMBER, it's aganist HIPPA Law, and they medical community only uses it for Collections.

Thanks for alerting the community to this, evidently some providers are using old new patient forms, just earlier this month entered my SSN on the form.

Yet at that very same office (which has a couple of HIPPA posters in plain view), lab samples were collected at the end of the visit. On that forrm, I had to hand pick one of three options for billing purposes (& mark it myself), at the end this was quoted as being required by Medicare & HIPPA. I don't recall if my SSN was listed onto the form.....however since the lab was using the data given to the provider, they could have it.

So the practice has one standard, the contracted lab has another,,,,,,,so confusing for many patients to keep up with steadily ongoing changes on the run.

Yes, they do use any information collected for all aspects of the practice, including billing & collections, If one has an outstanding bill & does not pay, nor make arraingments to do so, the balance owed will liikely be reported to all three credit agencies after 30 days & will remain there for 7 years from the due date, regardless of whether it's eventually paid or left unpaid.

There are companies or agencies just as ruthless as DR, if not more so, representing health care providers. Digital River can be easily avoided by not completing the transaction, certain health care providers will frown on those who challenges their system & may reject or terminate patient services. Especially the greedy ones, in areas where provider choice is limited, or may be the only one.

Cat

#14 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

Most, if not all, subscription based services do have "auto-renewal" as a default setting when you sign-up for it. Some company don't let you know about it, but some present it to you upon signing-up. I had the same problem before with MagicJack. I just wanted to try their service for a year and I wasn't aware that it is on auto-renewal. I just found out when I was sent an email confirmation of the renewal. So I called them up (thru regular phone, not MagicJack... :) ) and told them that I am not interested with the service anymore and I want my money back. MagicJack did not argue with me. They just cancelled the transaction and guided me how to disable auto-renewal.. I guess it's one of a normal type of call they receive regularly and they know how to deal with it right away. Even Amazon is a trickster, too. It saves your credit card info on your profile by default.

I am also a PSN subscriber. I know that my account is on auto-renewal but it's okay. That's the kind of subscription I would like to pay to be able to put my PS4 in better use. :) Too bad it used to be FREE before (with the PS3).

Great topic here. It can serve as a warning to a lot of unsuspecting subscribers.

Edited by badr0b0t, 19 June 2014 - 11:42 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#15 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

Even Amazon is a trickster, too. It saves your credit card info on your profile by default.

Amazing,even more amazing,their doesnt seem to be a single post on the net about this one.

I noticed the autorenewal on subscription services straight away yrs ago (i have a suspisious mind)lol.Their  mostly ok if you cancel you just have to watch them,not that i use tham much anyway.

Thanks to everyone who posted,usefull stuff to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users