Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Boot From Disc

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Clytemnestra

Clytemnestra

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

I've been working with a moderator in the Malware removal forum, and it has been concluded that I have some form of malware on the computer that has forced my hand; my only option is to perform a clean reinstall of Windows 7.

However, I cannot boot from the disc or repair the computer using the disc. It loads the necessary files and (after hours of loading time), all I get is a black screen and movable cursor. Upon informing the moderator of this, he advised that I post a new topic in this forum.

After searching for advice online for this topic, I tried changing the advanced visual settings to "let Windows choose what is best"; that changed nothing. At one point, week before last, I was given the option to hit F8 and get into the advanced options involved around the installation disc, as I do every time I boot the computer and get the BIOS screen to choose my OS. (This is a second hand laptop that came with Vista, but by the time I got it, the computer would blue screen when Vista was selected. Ergo the Windows 7 installation.) I have not been given the opportunity to hit F8 when telling the computer to boot from disc since that occasion.

This is a Gateway M-Series, SA6.
Further information pertaining to the computer available upon request.

Edited by Clytemnestra, 14 June 2014 - 06:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

Have you tried formatting the hard drive?  If that doesn't fix it, I'd download stand alone diagnostics from Western Digital or Seagate and run them.  It sounds like there's some problem with your hard drive.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Clytemnestra

Clytemnestra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

I can't run most diagnostic programs or antivirus software, due to the malware issue.
Formatting the hard drive would be done as the clean install.

I can't format it without that because the computer thinks that I am not the Administrator; it's wrong.

Thank you for your reply.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,647 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

When you go to Programs is there anything called Gateway Recovery Manager under Gateway?

#5 Clytemnestra

Clytemnestra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

Nope.
I have a partition that probably has that on it, but I can't even access the partition (in any way), access the right click menu, or empty my recycle bin.

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

When you boot from the install disc, there's an option to format your hard drive.  The fact that there's malware on the hard drive is irrelevant because you're not running anything that's on there.  Also you can download stand alone diagnostics from Seagate and WD that you use to create a bootable disc.  This would be done on a computer other than the one you're having the problem with.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,647 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

Are you just wanting to format the drive or do you want to reinstall the OS to a factory state. Hold down the Alt key at boot and tap the F10 key. You will get a boot screen or go directly to the recovery manager. If you get a boot screen, hightlight the HDD and select it. Hold the Alt button and tap the F10 key again. Does it get you to the recovery manager? If it does, it will reset the OS to a factory state and all your programs and data will be lost.

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-53091-restore-to-factory-setting-with-a-gateway

Tapping F10 or F11 keys at boot may work if the above does not.

#8 Clytemnestra

Clytemnestra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:38 PM

John C_21: I do not want it reset to a factory setting, I want to format the drive. I can't use the recovery manager. That was attempted before the reinstall conclusion was made.

Wpgwpg: I cannot boot from the disc. Telling me what I can do when I boot from the disc is not helpful. Please read the original post in full before you give suggestions.

I need to know how to fix this issue so that I can boot from the disc and reinstall. The disc will not load beyond a black screen with a movable cursor.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,647 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:36 AM

It may be that the CD/DVD drive or disk itself is bad but we can determine this.

Download the bootable version of Partition Wizard. It is an iso file. If you have a Windows 7 computer, you can doubleclick the iso file to burn it. If you are using an XP computer, you will need a software program like Imgburn to burn the iso file. Just be aware of any optional software it wants to install and opt-out.

After you have burned the disk, boot it. Then you can either wipe the disk by zeroing it out and let Windows 7 do the format which will add a 100MB system partition or you can partition and format with Partition Wizard. In any case, with the amount of malware on the drive, I would recommend a Wipe using the quick option. This will remove any Recovery Partition you have.

After the wipe and partition, your Windows 7 install disk should not have a problem installing. The only problem is if the Windows 7 install disk is an Upgrade and not a Full Retail install disk. If the disk is an Upgrade disk, you will have to install Windows 7 using a slightly different method as there is not OS to upgrade from after the format.

#10 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

In your OP you say "However, I cannot boot from the disc or repair the computer using the disc. It loads the necessary files and (after hours of loading time), all I get is a black screen and movable cursor".  Maybe I'm misreading this, but what I get from it says you're booting from the disc and running whatever boots from the disc for hours.  That makes me think that SOMETHING is loading from the disc, then spending hours doing something with the hard drive.  Please straighten me out about that.

If there's a problem with the disc, you can create a repair disc on any other Windows 7 computer with 32 or 64 bit Windows 7 the same as yours.  If there's a problem with the drive, you can clean it with a cleaning disc that you can buy at computer stores.  If that doesn't work, you can buy an external hard drive that you can plug into a USB port for around $25.  There're lots of things you can do to get past this problem.   :hello: 

Good luck.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

Is the disc you are using an installation disc?

If it is, where did you get it?

If this isn't an installation disc you can download a ISO image of windows 7 from the list below.

I would suggest following JohnC_21's advice for wiping the hdd and the instructions for burning the ISO image to a disc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 Clytemnestra

Clytemnestra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

It may be that the CD/DVD drive or disk itself is bad but we can determine this.

Download the bootable version of Partition Wizard. It is an iso file. If you have a Windows 7 computer, you can doubleclick the iso file to burn it. If you are using an XP computer, you will need a software program like Imgburn to burn the iso file. Just be aware of any optional software it wants to install and opt-out.

After you have burned the disk, boot it. Then you can either wipe the disk by zeroing it out and let Windows 7 do the format which will add a 100MB system partition or you can partition and format with Partition Wizard. In any case, with the amount of malware on the drive, I would recommend a Wipe using the quick option. This will remove any Recovery Partition you have.

After the wipe and partition, your Windows 7 install disk should not have a problem installing. The only problem is if the Windows 7 install disk is an Upgrade and not a Full Retail install disk. If the disk is an Upgrade disk, you will have to install Windows 7 using a slightly different method as there is not OS to upgrade from after the format.

Thank you to everyone who replied and tried to help. After creating a Partition Wizard bootable disc and wiping both hard drives, I was able to re-install Windows 7 with the disc I have. I am very very grateful to all of you for your assistance.
This issue has been resolved. (Yay!  :thumbsup: )

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

:thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users