Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"data error cyclic redundancy check" on an Iomega eGo TB External HD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 skeev88

skeev88

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

I plugged the HD in today and had a message saying the drive would need to be formatted, when I cancelled I received an error saying the drive was inaccessible due to a "data error cyclic redundancy check".  From what I've seen online it was recommended that I run a chkdsk from the cmd prompt, when I do that I receive a message saying "the type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives."

When I research that problem things get a little more complicated, so I'm hoping someone here can help me recover the data from this HD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

Hello,

I would first check your drive using Gsmartcontrol. This will tell you if the disk has failed or is failing.

You can use TestDisk for Windows to see if detects your partition and list the files using the "p" key. You can then copy over any files you need. Then you could see if writing a partition table will bring the drive back.

If Testdisk could not find a partition, you could use PhotoRec which is part of the Testdisk download to scan the drive and try to retrieve any files it finds. The names would be generic and you would need to open them and rename them as required.

PhotoRec is the free way. The paid way would be with Active@filerecovery. You would need to do the SuperScan.

EditL Another option is to use DDrescue, a linux command, to recover the data but you would need the same amount of space as the capicity of the external drive. It is not very intuitive and there is a learing curve.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 June 2014 - 05:51 PM.

#3 skeev88

skeev88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for the response. 

I ran the Gsmartcontrol program and it would not recognize the HD, it showed up as an "unknown model" and it gave me a message that "device open failed, or did not return an identity device structure".

So I downloaded and started running the Testdisk on the drive per the instructions, it did not seem to find a partition as the help page said that it would detect and highlight the appropriate selection which in this case was "non partitioned media".

I am running the photorec, it has been running or 45+ hours and it says it has 100 hours left on the scan.  Is this normal?

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

FWIW both Seagate and Western Digital have disk diagnostics you can download and run.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

Definitely not normal. I believe this is due to your hard drive failing especially by the fact that TestDisk did not find a partition. Has PhotoRec been able find any files? It recovers files in real time to the directory you chose for file recovery. In this type of situation you would need a professional data recovery service to get your data and it is not inexpensive.

Edit: You may want to stop the RhotoRec scan as scanning for another 100 hours is just going to put more stress on the drive, especially if PhotoRec has not recovered any good files after 45 hours.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 June 2014 - 08:24 PM.

#6 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Yes, If the hard drive is not responding with those data recovery  applications then consider to bring it to a professional recovery service. Since putting more stress on that drive's media could lead to a more expensive recovery procedure or a permanent loss of data.

Edited by Frozwire, 18 June 2014 - 08:55 PM.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

Whatever happened to the drive, the unit will not sync without a clock track, laid when formatted.  A repair would fail too, without a partition.

#8 skeev88

skeev88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

Thanks to all for the help but the drive is junk.  Luckily my backup wasn't too old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users