Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost password xp pro

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Braincircuit

Braincircuit

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

I have two computers with xp professional that had the same password which has been forgotten. I was able to enter in safe mode and change the password on the first pc., however, the other opens a log-in window even in safe mode.

I entered safe mode with command prompt. and the windows log-in  popped up.

Therefore, I am stymied. please advise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hello and Welcome,

Try the following. You will need to create a bootable CD or USB.

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 June 2014 - 04:49 PM.

#3 Quicktime

Quicktime

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:37 AM

Opcrack will find it and it is free.

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

Against Forum rules to post password cracking/hacking software.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

The statement by Netghost56 is somewhat incorrect.  While being supportive of the Microsoft policy, we also realize that such occurrences/situation do not necessarily indicate any violations of forum rules or policies.  BC does not suggest the recommendation of specific software...to mitigate the possibility of opening the site to more spam than it currently receives...but anyone who understands how to use Google can find appropriate information on neutralizing the negative effects of a lost/forgotten password.

We sympathize with your situation. Though your question about passwords is most likely legitimate, there are those who would pretend to need such assistance in order to gain unauthorized access to a computer not owned by them. We have no way of confirming ownership or if someone is being truthful with us. As such we don't provide step by step instructions but we certainly can help you find the information you seek.  Following is a standard blurb summarizing BC policy regarding password situations.

This article describes the Microsoft policy about missing, lost, forgotten, or incorrect passwords...Microsoft support engineers cannot help you retrieve passwords of files and features in Microsoft products that are lost or forgotten.

Microsoft policy about lost or forgotten passwords

You can refer to these Microsoft articles.

Forgotten Password Instructions provided by Microsoft:

Non-Microsoft Forgotten Password Guides:

Password Recovery Tools:

FWIW (personal opinion):  The bias that I see against Ophcrack...occurs primarily (IMO) because of the name and has nothing at all to do with the efficacy of the program.  Had it been called "Pasword Recovery" or some similar name...there would be no reaction to the name, IMO.   I suggest that you take a look at the following links.

Wikipedia Article

Ophcrack Review by Tim Fisher

Louis

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:28 AM

Though your question about passwords is most likely legitimate, there are those who would pretend to need such assistance in order to gain unauthorized access to a computer not owned by them. We have no way of confirming ownership or if someone is being truthful with us. As such we don't provide step by step instructions but we certainly can help you find the information you seek.

That's what I was alluding to.

Not familiar with Opcrack, but I wouldn't assume it was a bad program.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

The proper action would have been to use the REPORT button...not express words that can be misinterpreted or are inaccurate.  The Staff reviews these situations.

Louis

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

Never used the Report button. Thanks.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

Reporting Topics For Action - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic137145.html  

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users