Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this flash process normal?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MosfetOfDoom

MosfetOfDoom

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

I recently noticed a strange Adobe Flash process in my task manager. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling flash but the process remains the same. I'm just wondering if it is normal or something to worry about. Picture is attached.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 15 June 2014 - 10:13 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phade102

Phade102

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

I have that myself, what is your Internet browser? That one starts up for me when I'm using firefox. Its definitely not dangerous, btw.

#3 MosfetOfDoom

MosfetOfDoom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:19 PM

Yeah I'm running Firefox also.

#4 Phade102

Phade102

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

I wouldn't worry too much then, Whenever you run a video from youtube, or any other sort of site, that will pop up. its just a plugin.

If you are concerned, however, I recommend you install Noscript from the firefox addon Library. It's done wonders for me, and it requires next to no tweaking to get to work the way you'd like.

Edit: Also, if you want to test it, open a youtube video, then go to your task manager and shut down the flash player process. If its legit the video will stop and it'll say the plugin has crashed.

Edited by Phade102, 14 June 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#5 MosfetOfDoom

MosfetOfDoom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:28 PM

Alright, thanks. The reason I was wondering is because I've been getting notifications from Norton that firefox and plugin container are writing a large amount of data  to my disk, and I'm not exactly sure why.

#6 Phade102

Phade102

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

Now that is strange. I can't help you with that, but hopefully someone else can! I dont have norton though.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

+1 for NoScript...

also add Flashblock, Adblock plus and Ghostery to increase your browser security.

You may need to configure them a little to make your favourite sites work as normal, but well worth the effort.

#8 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

It is normal to have two Adobe Flash processes running.  For an explanation, have a look at:
Inside Flash Player Protected Mode for Firefox.

+1 for NoScript...

also add Flashblock, Adblock plus and Ghostery to increase your browser security.

You may need to configure them a little to make your favourite sites work as normal, but well worth the effort.

+1

Something else you can do, from the Firefox "Tools" menu:

• select "Add-ons"
  • in the "Add-ons Manager" window/tab select "Plugins"
  • Change the "Shockwave Flash" plugin from "Always Activate" to "Ask to Activate"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users