Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft says my Windows 7 is not genuine

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lapierre

lapierre

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

Good afternoon.

My 1TB SATA hard drive was replaced this week due to an imminent failure message on my Dell Studio XPS desktop.  The repair shop confirmed the imminent failure and then cloned the failing HD to a new HD before catastrophic failure.

All looked good until I attempted to log into my Windows Live e-mail with the new HD installed.  I got a pop-up that said Windows Live is closing because my calendar contains corrupt data.  That problem is for another topic, but it led me to another pop-up that said my Windows 7 needed to be validated by Microsoft to see if it was "genuine," using the following website:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/genuine/what-is-validation.

The result was that the Microsoft website said, "Install genuine Windows. Files that Windows needs to work properly have been modified, removed, or disabled. To resolve, you need to install genuine Windows. Not to worry, we can help you with that."

The Microsoft website offered to sell me Windows 7 Home Premium for $109.  That would be fair if mine was an illegal copy, but my Genuine Windows 7 was purchased legally with the original PC in 2010.  I don't know if this matters, but Start > Control panel > Systems and security > System, shows that Windows is activated and also shows the product ID.

I have run sfc /scannow.  The result was "Windows Resources Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.  Details are included in the CBS.log."  Access was denied to this cbs.log file.  Pease let me know if there is a way to validate my genuine Windows 7.  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

Try this Microsoft application, most times it will fix your issue.

If it doesn't, MS has help centers/call centers across the world that help to resolve it. Here is the US one.

TsVk!

#3 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:50 AM

MGADiag should help with any activation/validation issues

• Download MGADiag (by Microsoft) from the link found below:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
  • Run the tool by double-clicking on the file. Press Continue when prompted
  • When it has finished, press Copy then Paste (Ctrl+V) this into your next post please

#4 lapierre

lapierre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

TsVk! And Go The Power,

Thank you both for the advice.  I am still working on TsVk!’s suggestions.  His first suggestion (“try this Microsoft application”) was not fruitful, so I proceeded with the second suggestion by calling Microsoft Windows Technical Support directly.  I got much better results, probably because I was willing to purchase MS’s Premium Software Support Plan, since MS guaranteed it could fix the problem.

The MS tech and his senior escalation support engineer completely solved the problem.  There were actually multiple problems, all stemming from adware/malware infection, according to MS.  (My virus protection program had failed to detect this, even after two manual full scans.)

Please remember that all the above activity was on the new HD, which was cloned from the original HD, which was thought to be failing.  After the new HD was clean, I reinstalled the original HD and asked MS to fix it.  MS performed some troubleshooting and repair, including AdwCleaner, and was able to validate that Windows 7 was genuine.  However, MS says it indeed appears the original HD might be failing.

In summary, after three days of effort, the new HD is working nicely, and the original HD still has the following abnormal conditions.

• On startup, the display reads “AHCI Port0 Device Error.  Press F2 to Resume” with a black background.
  • After completing the startup, a message pops up in the lower right-hand corner, “Intel Rapid Storage Technology – Your system is reporting one or more warnings, and data may be at risk.  Open the application for details.”
  • Later, a Microsoft Windows pop-up says, “Windows detected a hard disk problem – Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss ….”

MS recommended, as a last resort, that I wipe clean the original HD [my note:  perhaps with DBAN or CBL Data Shredder] and then clone the new HD to the original HD [my note:  perhaps with EasyToDo Backup, Free].

TsVk! and Go The Power:  I would appreciate your advice again.  Should I proceed with this wipe-and-clone plan?

Go The Power:  Would you still like to see the file produced by http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012?

Please advise if this has become a topic for a different forum (Hardware > Internal hardware?).

Thank you, both.

Nona

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

It does sound like a HDD problem indeed. It may be ready for trashing rather than cloning to. I assume you have rescued all of your personal data already?

If you please scan the HDD with this application, let us know what it reports.

TsVk!

#6 lapierre

lapierre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

TsVk!,

Following are links to my PhotoBucket account showing the results of the HDD scan.  It was my first HDD scan, so I hope these are useful.

s.m.a.r.t. report ... http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/nonalap/media/smartreport_zpsdeb4bd47.jpg.html -

surface lba graph 1 ...  http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/nonalap/media/surfacelbagraph1_zps7425d973.jpg.html

surface lba graph 2 ... http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/nonalap/media/surfacelbagraph2_zps5b47db2f.jpg.html

surface lba map ... http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/nonalap/media/surfacelbamap_zps217fc522.jpg.html

surface lba report ... http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/nonalap/media/surfacereport_zps9e686813.jpg.html

Thank you.

Nona

Edited by lapierre, 18 June 2014 - 02:50 PM.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

Pictures are gone :(

#8 lapierre

lapierre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:25 PM

TsVk!,

Apologies for the links.  It was also my first time for PhotoBucket.  Please bear with me as I try to attach the photos to this post.

Nona

#9 lapierre

lapierre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

Again ...

Attached Files

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

Yes, the hard drive is failing... it will not last long now. I suggest you rescue and personal data that is not backed up. Then you can hit the thing with a hammer and throw it in the bin. Or (my personal favourite) is to pull it apart and get the platter out, then line one side with felt... it makes a very nice drink coaster.

#11 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

As you probably know, because the drive was replaced, caused the "hash" for the activation info to get messed up, that is why its saying it's not genuine any more.  Look on the computer case for a serial number, and if there is one, just enter it.  If not, contact the manufacturer and explain the situation, they should, in theory be able to help you with a valid serial number.

#12 lapierre

lapierre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

Thank you both, TsVk! and scotty_ncc1701.

My personal files are backed up on two separate external drives, and I have the replacement HDD drive fully loaded and ready to go.  Since it seems failure of the original HDD is imminent, I will be experimenting with it.  It may end up being used as a drink coaster, but I will have an educational experience with it in the meantime.  Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Nona

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users