Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confusing backup memory

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gingerpops

Gingerpops

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

Hi everyone, hope someone can clear up this mystery for me. I am running windows 7 64bit and backup is run automatically. Recently I got a message saying I didn't have enough memory for the backup to proceed so I went into the backup and deleted all but one record. That gave me plenty of free space except it told me the last backup had not completed. I deleted the last record and proceeded to do a full backup. I have a 500Gb external drive where the backup is held (I think! it has a file that looks like a ext HDD with my computer name but the file reads "EMPTY") When I go into computer the ext drive reads : Total Size = 465Gb, Free space = 52Gb yet when I select all the files and right click the ext drive, properties, it reads : Free Space 23.3Gb. When I go into Backup and Restore, click manage space, I get : data File = 149.98. System Image = 238.87Gb. Other Files = 26.64Gb. It appears this backup has taken almost all of the memory of the external drive and the file I believe is the backup file is empty and yet all the files add up to 23.3Gb. Can some one please explain this and advise how I can recover some of the space.

Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

I suggest you get away from the Windows backup program and get yourself a good commercial backup program. I've seen forums fraught with problem reports for the Windows one. I know I was very unimpressed when I tried it. Two I'm familiar with and like are Easeus Todo Backup Free, and Memeo which has a 30 day free trial and you can buy it for $29.99.  Both of these will do incremental backups.
  The March 2012 issue of PC World was very high on the FREE program from Easeus and so is CNET.  In my experience with a variety of configurations I have to say I'm very impressed.  Like Ghost (which unfortunately is no longer on the market) it will back up to a networked drive, and it will create a boot CD for when your PC won't boot.  Don't download from CNET unless you want to get malware, but you can see CNET's review of it at
-
 CNET has a lot of backup program reviews at 

Some of these are free (last time I checked there were over 300), some have free trials (over 1000), and some are purchase only (over 200).
-
External hard drives are best for backup. You can get a 500 GB one for around $50 and a 1 TB one for around $60. You can also buy a 32 GB flash drive for under $20.  It's the best insurance you can ever buy!

-
I hope this helps.  Good luck

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Gingerpops

Gingerpops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

Thank you wpgwpg for your advice but doesn't actually answer my questions. I will investigate changing from Windows
backup system but I would still like to know why the difference in the numbers. I seem to remember seeing your post in another section, looks like a cut and paste.

Thanks again.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:05 PM

The backup software in Windows 7 is simply buggy.  I spent a lot of time testing and trying to get answers to why it does and doesn't do things over on the answers.microsoft.com forums.  Nobody including the MS people there could come up with good answers. In addition to being buggy and over complicated, it's very wasteful of the disk space it uses.   Better to switch than fight.  :graduate:

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 Gingerpops

Gingerpops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:27 AM

Thank you. I have downloaded Easus-todo and will use that. How do I disengage with the Windows backup system and should I delete the file (which is empty) from my external HDD and start again.

Regards

#6 Gingerpops

Gingerpops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

OK, I have my first attempt to use Easus-todo . Not sure if I did it correctly, only backed up files as a trial. It created a folder in my external HDD and away it went, when it had finished I clicked into the external drive and the folder was there but it was empty, am I doing anything wrong. The same happened wit the windows 7 backup, does the backup but the folder is empty. HELP please.

#7 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

The Easeus Todo Backup programs has several modes of operation.  You have to tell it to do the SYSTEM backup.

As far as getting rid of the Windows backup one, the controls are in the Backup and Restore applet of the Control Panel.  You could also check the Task Scheduler if necessary.

Good luck.

#8 Gingerpops

Gingerpops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Yes thanks but that doesn't explain why the folders are empty. I created a dedicated folder on the external drive for the file backup.  Easeus Todo performed the task. I was just testing to make sure the files was backed up. I was going to go on to backup system if I was successful. I didn't want to waste a couple of hours only for it to fail.

regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users