Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD drive for live cd boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Carda

Carda

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:25 AM

Hi

In my desktop, 7 years old Dell dimension 3000 there are 2 dvd drives.

One is the "primary" one, I mean the one I use when booting from a live dvd. The other is a DVD player & burner.

Recently the "primary" one has been acting up, most of the times recognizing dvds, sometimes not. Often with the same dvd. The other one is more reliable, can always open dvds while in windows, so I was thinking in swapping the roles, and make the DVD player & burner as the "primary" one, that I can use to boot live dvd from.

How can I do it? Are there switches on the hardware, as on HDs to make one master, or there is another way?

Thanks

Love & peace

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:28 AM

Hi :welcome: to BC,

You can start by checking the BIOS in some of them you can set the drive order making easy to choose the first drive DVD drive used on boot, on a screen similar to this one:

bios-boot-order-5137405.jpg

The second group of options can be used to set the order of the devices foe each category, in your case only the CD-ROM need to be changed.

If the BIOS doesn't have this kind of options you need to change the drives Master/Slave settings if they are IDE by changing the drive positions on the IDE cable and eventually the jumper on the drives

hdd1.jpg

The first drive need to be set as Master and the other one as Slave. The Cable Select option will try to set the drive connected to the end of the cable as Master and the other one as Slave but this not always work... It's safer to install the drives on the correct positions and set manually the jumpers.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

For starters, have you tried cleaning that drive?  You can buy inexpensive cleaning discs at stores selling computers.  CD/DVD drives need for you to do that periodically.  It's possible to physically swap the drives, but I'm puzzled as to why you think that's necessary.  I have a computer with two CD/DVD drives that will boot from which ever drive I put a disc in.

The physical act of swapping the drives (which again I'm not sure is necessary) can be done with a cable swap of the data cable(s), but details depend on whether the drives are IDE or SATA.  If the drive has actually gone bad, you'd be better off just replacing it if you're going to remove the covers and get to the drives.  They cost less than $20.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 14 June 2014 - 10:37 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 Carda

Carda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

Thanks a lot. I'll try the BIOS first (simpler), and if that doesnt work the second.

Love & peace

#5 Carda

Carda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

For starters, have you tried cleaning that drive?  You can buy inexpensive cleaning discs at stores selling computers.  CD/DVD drives need for you to do that periodically.  It's possible to physically swap the drives, but I'm puzzled as to why you think that's necessary.  I have a computer with two CD/DVD drives that will boot from which ever drive I put a disc in.

The physical act of swapping the drives (which again I'm not sure is necessary) can be done with a cable swap of the data cable(s), but details depend on whether the drives are IDE or SATA.  If the drive has actually gone bad, you'd be better off just replacing it if you're going to remove the covers and get to the drives.  They cost less than $20.

Good luck.

The reason I want to swap is to be able to boot from the second drive. I have also considered getting a new one, of course, but the second drive is working well, and the "primary" one is still working, but temperamental. I dont want to find myself in the situation of trying to reinstall an image ( I use Clonezilla live cd ) and the drive going on strike on me refusing to boot the cd.

Thanks

Love & peace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users