Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore not working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rozzer

rozzer

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:12 AM

Hi all

I need to restore my xp pro to an earlier date due to removing a programme in error, however when i try to 

restore, it goes through the process then i get the message unable to restore to this date.

I have tried numerous dates and its the same.

Tried it it safe mode as well and still the same.

Tried to undo the last restore event and it says 'Undo Incomplete' 'SR was unable to reverse the restoration'

Done a scan with Avast and Malwarebytes and all show clean.

All my update have been done an all is up too date.

I did not try switching off SR off, as i know if i do it may remove all restore dates and then i have lost my programme

anyway.

My settings show it at 12% which is maximum (this is not where i set it originally which was 5%) so not sure how that happened.

The programme i removed in error was 'LG cyberlink power dvd' and it looks like it removed a decoder from my WMP and now i'm not able to view DVD,s in WMP that's why i need to restore (also i need SR to work).

I downloaded cyberlink from the website only to find it was an upgrade and not the player so unable to install that as its saying it cannot find powerdvd on my system

Any help will be very much appreciated

Kind Regards

Rozzer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

You could try this link. Just be aware that CNET tends to bundle other software with its downloads so choose 'Custom' or 'Manual' install. Whatever you do, don't use 'Easy', 'Quick' or 'Automatic' options and look at every screen carefully before you click 'Next' !

http://download.cnet.com/CyberLink-PowerDVD/3000-13632_4-10352449.html

Alternatively you could try the freeware VLC player, which you can get from here -

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en_GB.html

I use the VLC player as my default for all video and music and I have yet to find a format it can't play.

Once you start a System Restore it is irreversible, you get a warning to that effect before you actually click on the 'Restore now' button, which is why you cannot undo it.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:00 AM

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply and advice.

I did download and am now currently using VLC player and I must admit

It is pretty good so far, will need a bit longer to go through all the functions.

I am unsure at this stage about the other option at CNET so I will give that

a miss for now, not too bother about WMP if I can use VLC for the DVD’s etc.

Regarding SR, according to my XP SR dialogue box it does say that using SR is completely reversible (see screen shot) oops! Looks like I can’t use that screen shot here.

My main concern was that SR was not working at all i.e. 'unable to restore or undo a restore point' and is frozen in this mode.

but I was reluctant to switch off SR as I was not sure whether it would wipe out all my previous restore points and thus leaving

me with no chance of recovery of required programme etc.

However since you have so kindly provided me with an alternative to WMP it will try to switch it off and see what happens.

Thanks once again Chris for all your help.

Kind Regards

Rozzer

#4 Hobb

Hobb

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

Hi Rozzer

Switching off RS will wipe out the restore points. Try disabling Avast until next restart,then try doing a system restore.

Hope this works for you.

All the best

Hobbs.

#5 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:09 AM

Hi Hobb

Thanks for replying and advice, however i already did try all the methods including

starting in safe mode (which is before avast comes into play) and nothing worked.

I have finally done a restore and all my restore points have been wiped out, but it is

working again now.

Thanks again and Regards

Rozzer

#6 joclinton

joclinton

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

I know a great alternative to System Restore which I think is more functional, called Deep Freeze. It is a little more expensive so I looked into an alternative product called Drive Vaccine, I am still currently testing it. I did not like system restore because it only backs up system files and not personal files.

#7 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:45 AM

hi joclinton

Thanks for the info, sorry so long to reply, I will check it out also.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users