Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ISP tech thinks I have virus, but two av programs so no

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:27 AM

I have ESET NOD 32, and Malwarebytes.  I regular check for av with these programs.  The past 3 days or so, I have had some issues with videos such as You Tube being slow, and rebuffering.  Not terribly bad, but bad enough.  This evening I tried to watch Netflix, and it was also buffering enough to bug me, when I tried to watch a movie.  I decided to do a internet speed test, to see what my download speed was.  It was very slow.  I called my ISP and talked with their tech.  She did some checking with my filter off the modem, and I still had slow speeds.  Then she had me to put the computer in safe mode, and then run the internet speed test again.  This time it came up to a tolerable level, but barely within the lower end of what speed I should be getting.  So at that point, she said it must be a virus, and she could connect me to a tech paid service to handle the issue.  I said not at this point.  So I ran a scan first with ESET NOD 32, and it showed nothing.  Then I ran one with Malwarebytes, it also showed nothing.  I have noticed that Carbonite has been backing up like crazy. I had something like 1500 files to be backed up.  Now it is about 900 left to go.  I had paused it to update my Tweaking Registry Backup program.  I went to unpause it, and saw it was already running.  Strange.  Maybe I just thought I hit pause.  Regardless, it is backing up frantically to Carbonite.  It should not be that far behind in files though.  So can anyone tell me what else I can do, to find out what is going on with the slow download problem?  It must be a virus, according to the tech.  I was going to do an online scan at Kaspersky, but I see they don't have that anymore.  I downloaded Malwarebytes Anti Rootkit, just to see if it will find anything.  It also shows no virus/malware.  Thoughts?  :busy:

Edited by kelkay, 14 June 2014 - 02:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:26 AM

Frankly, I've dealt with alot if ISP techs over the years, and there were only a hand full that seemed like they knew the MINIMUM needed to get by, and a lot less that actually knew more.  Most of the time, my knowledge surpassed them hands down.  For example, most of them didn't understand the multiple layers of TCPIP protocol, including basic concept of loopbacks.

That being said, let me continue.

ISPs "provision" your line to certain speeds, etc.  I had a go around with my ISP, and the idiot tech.  I was paying for speed "X", but only getting speed "Y".  They said that that was what I was entitled to.  Well I made them eat cow droppings, because my bill said differently, plus I had historical data from SPEEDTEST.NET (note 1).  Then they tried the BS that it is the rated line (e.g. 5mpbs download), less the upload rate (e.g. 2mbps), so my download should be 3mpbs -- these are just made up numbers, but the concept accurate.  I ripped them again, showing what the facts are, not only from their site, but also other sites on the Internet.

I pushed it to the people that worked for the CEO, with names, ID numbers, etc.  They (people that worked for the CEO) then got me to second level support (note 2), and my problem was resolved.  Since I have unlimited long distance, I call the corporate HQ at their non "800" number, so there is a record of the call.  They'd look it up the date/time I said I called them, and they said that there was no record.  I'd then ask them, why does it show on my phone bill that I called (whatever number), it lasted (xx) minutes.  I then would ask how did I know that the person's ID was (whatever).  They'd look up, and see that the person was actually working at the date/time I called.  There was no way that I could know when (whoever) was working.  That usually shut them down, and got what I needed.

To find the non "800" number for businesses, try this site:

http://ecorporateoffices.com/

So:

1.  Check your bill, and see what they say you're suppose to have verses what you know you're paying for.  I know that my ISP will lower the "provisioning" level if I'm having problems, and that will affect the speed.  Every time I had issues, the idiot would do that, and never put it up to the level it was suppose to be, so I was paying for twice the speed I was actually getting!
2.  Try SPEEDTEST.NET, and see if you're getting the speed you're suppose to.
3.  If you have more than one computer, I suggest you create multiple accounts, one for each computer, so you can keep the results separate.  You'll need to make sure you always use the "right" account on the "right" computer.
4.  Keep in mind, that upload speeds are usually slower than download speeds.
5.  If you're using wireless, from the computer to the ROUTER/MODEM will be slower.  On my older computer it was about 50% the cabled speed.  On my new computer (6 months old), the wireless speed is about 75% that of the cabled speed.
6.  Although not required, testing the computer with, and without wireless active is suggested.

Normally (98%+), every time I had a speed issue, it was a screw up of my ISP.

Best of luck!

NOTES:

1.  Make sure you create an account (its free), and periodically test your line, so you have a running history of your line's performance.

2.  The first level support people refused to refer this to second level support, obviously because it would make them look bad.  Some of the techs won't record that a customer called in.

#3 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

Thank you for your thoughts.  I had 0.56 as an average download speed last night.  When I was in safe mode, it jumped up to 4.14 or so mbps.  Today I got on the net and immediately checked the speed.  (I left it on sleep overnight)  The speed download was 2.71 mbps.  Less than ten minutes later it went up to 3.44 mbps.  Less than an hour it was down again to 0.54 mbps.  So after checking several times, it still stayed that low.  So I went back to safe mode.  I did the test again.  It went to 5.13 mbps.  I rechecked still in safe mode it went to 4.74 mbps.

So I restarted and checked again in normal mode...it was 4.45 mbps.  Then I rechecked again in normal mode, it was 5.09 mbps with an upload of 0.61 mbps.  I have not changed anything. Ten minutes after the higher speed in normal mode, it is back down to download speed of 0.47 mbps.  I do not understand this at all.  After I read your reply, I did sign up for an account.  Normally I get a download speed of 4.60-5.10 mbps.  It was usually close to 4.95 on average.  So something is awful fishy here. 

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

You have several variables to take into account here.  First, if you have tasks like Carbonite, virus scans, etc. running, that can slow things to slow down considerably.  You want to run your speed tests when this kind of thing isn't running because otherwise you get random distortion and degradation of performance.  Next you have to consider whether you have DSL, cable, satellite, or some other kind of service (and I didn't see where you said).  If cable, you need to understand that in a given area your bandwidth is shared with your neighbors, so if a neighbor's kid is downloading gigabytes of files, movies, whatever, that will degrade your speed.  With satellite, weather can affect it.  How old are your modem and router?  They can degrade with age, especially if you're using a wireless connection.  By the way, there're varying plans for Internet service.  I currently get 33 Mbps downloads with Comcast cable.

Now let's get back to Carbonite for a minute.  You must understand that uploads are much slower than downloads, so personally I don't use cloud storage for backups.  I use a 3rd party free backup program to an external hard drive.  Specifically I use Easeus Todo Backup Free which is totally free for home use.  You can buy an external 1 TB hard drive for as little as $60.  If you have eSATA or USB 3 connection, you can back up 115 GB in under 15 minutes - my last backup of that size took 14.  With something like Carbonite, it would take DAYS to do that.  There're considerations about this vs cloud backup.  If my house burns down, I lose that USB 3 backup.  But cloud storage is subject to privacy and reliability considerations.  Carbonite is one of the better ones, but even if your backups are encrypted, there're ways for unethical employees to get to it and possibly do an identity theft.  With my backup, I do put critical data on flash drives and put these in my locked car and my safety deposit box.  I greatly prefer my approach to cloud backup.  YMMV.

Good luck.   :hello:

Edited by wpgwpg, 14 June 2014 - 12:33 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

I use dsl.  I have Carbonite paused.  I did 2 more tests.  The first download was at 2.46 mbps.  One minute later the next one was 0.21 mbps.  I was not using anything like a virus scan at the time, nor Carbonite.  (no movies either)  I do have an external hard drive.  I use it for back ups of documents, and photos. 

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

It sounds like you might need to either get a new router or switch ISPs.  Sometimes when you talk to an ISP about switching, it can bring about more attention to solving the problem.  These things can be hard to pin down sometimes, and I know how frustrating they can be.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

This modem is a few years old.  Maybe you are right about that.  If I can rule out virus, then I am going to press harder on the issue.

#8 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

This modem is a few years old.  Maybe you are right about that.  If I can rule out virus, then I am going to press harder on the issue.

I've been off-line for most of the afternoon and evening, well up to now.

I too have DSL.  Another time I was having issues, that sounds like what you said, was equipment problems.  One time they had a bad splice (connection), another time rust/corrosion, another time, actually times, they alledge, a bad board.  Every time they accused me of having the problem, until I because a real "A" hole.  Then all of a sudden they discovered the issue.  There way more to the story, but you may have to get really pushy.

You say that your modem is a few years old.  My ISP is so hard up to blame me, I currently have 5-6 fully operational modems, because they kept sending me new ones.

I just sent you a PM.

Have a good day.

#9 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

Thank you Scotty for your thoughts. You have been through the wringer it seems.  I will reply to your pm.  I hope it isn't as drawn out a problem, as you describe, wow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users