Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

video card question regarding usage of video output

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Th3Lib3r4t0r

Th3Lib3r4t0r

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

so it took me a while to get the right power supply and graphics card (7770) for my computer so i can run games higher and this may seem like a dumb question but if i installed the video card would i have to use the output given to me dvi, hdmi, and display port. or can i also use the motherboards (hdmi,vga) video output and get the video cards performance im thinking no but i am not sure. I only have vga and would not like to buy a $20 dvi cable. would i get the video cards performance if its in the slot and powered but i use the vga port. i havent installed the power supply or video card yet

Edited by Th3Lib3r4t0r, 13 June 2014 - 11:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:57 AM

can i use the motherboards (hdmi,vga) video output and get the video cards performance

No, as you suspect, it will be necessary to use one of the outputs on the new video card.

Depending on the design of the motherboard, when you install a video card the on-board video may shut off altogether, or more rarely may remain available, but unchanged to how it already is.

To get the performance from the new card, you'll have to use one of its outputs.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Th3Lib3r4t0r

Th3Lib3r4t0r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:11 AM

yeah that was my intitial thought thank you very much 

#4 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

Do you have a LCD or a Plasma monitor?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#5 Th3Lib3r4t0r

Th3Lib3r4t0r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

i have a viewsonic va2703w its lcd it only had vga and dual link dvi which the msi 7770 has the dual link as well but i installed it and came up with problems i made a post called video card hdmi not working?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users