Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BOOTMGR missing - Gateway laptop

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 casmik

casmik

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:10 PM

My mom wanted me to see if I could bring her laptop back to life.  It's a Gateway Model MP 6954 that had WinXP Media Center 2005 on it.  I put a different hard drive in it to see if that helped, it seemed like it would boot up then went to the BSOD and it says BOOTMGR missing press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart.  I finally just tried to reformat the hard drive and was going to install WinVista but I don't know how to get past this bootmgr thing.  Any help is appreciated, thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheGreatGarbled

TheGreatGarbled

• Banned
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:02 PM

I "fix" my bootmgr often. I have Linux/Win7 dual boot. Every time there's a new Linux I give Windows BACK the Boot manager since Linux takes it over and then delete Linux in the Disc Manager section of Windows, then I install the new linux OS.  YOU need a Windows Disc to boot from. Once it's up, you select "Repair Computer" then the Command Window.  To repair the Boot  TYPE-   bootrec.exe/fixmbr   hit enter and it will tell you if you're successful. I have read in these forums that even if you have XP? using that command with a VISTA disc will fix XP's boot sector. I haven't tried it since I have the proper Windows disc. After that? you just close out the Command window and Reboot the computer, it should start up the Windows OS you have on the Hard drive. 

Put proper Windows disc in tray if no XP? try Vista disc

set PC to boot from disc/dvd tray by hitting F2 or Escape or F10? whatever it is for your PC to get into the boot line-up

Boot from dvd tray-disc, select REPAIR Computer and then the Black Command Window

Type IN -   bootrec.exe/fixmbr

hit ENTER and reboot machine. Good luck

Edited by TheGreatGarbled, 13 June 2014 - 11:16 PM.

#3 casmik

casmik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:54 PM

i have tried with xp and vista install cd's. still same result.  i  put old hard drive back in and get PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable, and PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM .operating system not found

#4 TheGreatGarbled

TheGreatGarbled

• Banned
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:49 AM

What a mess. I don't know what that Error is.  THIS is why I also have a copy of the free GParted a DVD you make yourself from the free .iso using Infrarecorder or another DVD burner. I allows you to Delete everything on the Disk from your DVD tray. It's like being on the outside of the PC looking In. You could always download that and delete the Drive, THEN install Vista? was it? XP isn't safe to use anymore really.  GParted takes a WHILE to boot up and close. But you could delete the entire drive and prep it for the new install disc that way. GParted just came out with a new update too.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gparted

Download the .iso *it's linux but that's ok* for 32 bit machines.   Then Go to File Hippo and download InfraRecorder 

http://filehippo.com/search?q=infrarecorder

You can Burn* your own rescue DVD and see what's on the PC when you boot from the Tray/DVD. Once the Drive is deleted? you can attempt  reinstall. 

Maybe some the other people in here have an easier suggestion? 

I googled that PC, it says it has only 2GIGS of RAM. Vista requires 4GIGS from what I remember. OnlyXP would be able to be put on the PC if it's 2Gig. 

Edited by TheGreatGarbled, 14 June 2014 - 12:55 AM.

#5 casmik

casmik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:51 AM

I am game to try anything! lol, I'll let you know if it works.  Thanks for the help.

#6 TheGreatGarbled

TheGreatGarbled

• Banned
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:12 AM

Ha, THIS is why I use Linux. It works even on old Windows XP machines with only 512 MB of memory. One or Two GIGS of RAM is perfect.  Linux Lite and or Linux Mint17 are my favorites and it's not defunct and dangerous like XP is now. I use Linux mint 99% of the time, only use Windows7 to view Slingbox TV and use Magic Jack for phone calls from time to time.  

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

Go into the BIOS and check your boot options.  The PXE error often indicates that the system is trying a network boot, rather than booting from the hard drive.

If the first boot device is not the hard drive...please make it so.  Then hit F10 to save the changes made in the BIOS.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2014 - 09:42 AM.

#8 casmik

casmik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

thank you louis, i have made sure of that and it is booting from hard drive first, still same result tho.  so frustrating!  i do appreciate the ideas and help though.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

So what you are saying is that using the original drive gives a PXE error and replacing it with the other drive gives a Bootmgr missing error?

#10 casmik

casmik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

yes that is it exactly

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:53 PM

A Bootmgr missing is an error that involves Vista and up so I am assuming the drive with the Bootmgr missing error still has a OS on it. XP uses Boot.ini and ntldr. Do you have a XP or Windows 7 install disk?

I would do the following. Put in the disk that gives you the Bootmgr missing error. You can use a Gparted live CD as suggested by TheGreatGarbled or you can download the bootable version of Partition Wizard which is a smaller download and a little easier to work with. Download the iso file and burn it to a CD by double clicking the file in Windows 7 or by using Imgburn if using XP. Just watch out for the optional program installs. After booting Partition Wizard, wipe the disk using the Quick Method. After wiping the disk, you create a new partition and format it NTFS or let the install disks of XP or Windows 7 do the format and partition for you at install.

I believe you are getting the error because you have the hard drive as the first boot device in BIOS. You will have to change the first boot device CD/DVD.

If you have problems booting to CD/DVD it may be possible to boot to a USB flash drive if the computer has that option.

How much ram is on the computer. You may not be able to run Window 7 on it. Linux may be the best option. I will have to look at the specs to see which distro would be best.

Edit: It looks like this computer could run Windows 7 without a problem. Do you know the size of the hard drive with the Bootmgr error?

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 June 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#12 casmik

casmik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

i believe it is 120 GB, I don't have a windows 7 install disk but I do have the others I will try ur suggestion and let you know, thank you.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

If you decide to use Partition Wizard to create the patition and do the format on the hard drive. Make sure you mark it active before doing the XP install.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/set-active.html

#14 casmik

casmik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

I will do so, I am in process of wiping partition now.

#15 casmik

casmik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:36 AM

Ok, now I have original 120 gb Western Digital hard drive back in. The only way I can get anything to do anything is boot from a USB floppy drive, (yes I know how ancient this sounds, lol), with a floppy that is labeled with sea tools rescue disk. I had to dig deep to find any old floppy to even try. Anyway, I am sending a picture of what it says is the directory of drive c, but drive c still doesn't boot, at all. It was saying no operating system but has went back to the original error about the PXE. I am about to throw all of it out the window but I'm stubborn and don't like giving up. I can only vaguely remember what to do when I can only access dos and no windows os! If you see anything on the pic I'm sending that you know I can run and fix this I would love your help. Thanks for the patience and help so far.
I can't send the pic the file is too big but here's the link to it on my one drive.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=64F3101BADE6B878!3794&authkey=!AA9GrIjFif-0qiI&v=3&ithint=photo%2c.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users