Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

linux bootloaders

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:38 PM

I am running Windows on my PC. I recently d/l'd and ran memtest86+ on my system, and ended up with a machine that was essentially un-bootable afterwards. The program runs in Syslinux, and so when you reboot to test your ram, it just goes ahead and installs Grub bootloader to your system so it can boot Linux and run itself. Something went wrong and after this I was unable to boot Windows anymore, I could only boot to the memtest utility. Fortunately I have a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD, and installing a boot manager from the UBCD made my PC bootable again.

Am I the only one who thinks that it is sheer insanity to write utilities for Windows that write to the bootsector like this? My own experience is that Grub has done more damage to my system than any malware has ever done.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

No, you're not the only one.  I ran into this with Acronis True Image 2010 and its bootable CD.  Needless to say, I'll never go near another Acronis product.  :lmao:

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users