Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has anyone had issues with VideoMakerFX? Is this Adware?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 numbersix6

numbersix6

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

Greetings all! I have always used your site as my goto for answers to all things malware, but I have recently run across a program I'm not sure about: VideoMakerFX. I have yet to sandbox this thing, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with it. Google searches turn up video after video of people claiming to make money off the internet. Any reviews posted are fake pitches for the program and it's website it seems. A search for a eula turns up garbage. It seems they have hijacked Google searches in their favor from what I can tell. Now the reason I ask this is that I have run across a computer suffering from popups and tabs opening on their own, and after cleaning it the only program installed I cannot account for is this VideoMakerFX. Would someone enlighten me on this thing? Is it a scam? Is it malware? Or is it legit (don't think so personally).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

file analysis of videomakerfx.exe

The software appears legit...the VideoMakerFX website includes links at the bottom for terms of use - disclaimer - privacy policy - support.

I also found this user discussion topic for VideoMakerFX.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Tonatiuh

Tonatiuh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

I also bought this software (VideomakerFX) and immediately noticed poor performance of my computer, I was using Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 and did not detect anything, but guess what, I DOWNLOAD AVG Free version and I detected two Trojans.

http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/virus-and-malware-information/info/inject/?name=Inject2.ATFO&utm_source=TDPU&utm_medium=SCAN&CTRY=mx&LNG=sp&PRTYPE=AVF&V=2014&AI=0&BE=21199312

The biggest problem is that this software was sold to 30,000 people 

I do not know to proceed in this case?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

Anytime you come across a suspicious file, a possible false positive or you want a second opinion, submit it to one of the following online services that analyzes suspicious files:--In the "File to Scan" (Upload or Submit) box, browse to the location of the suspicious file(s) and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis. If you get a message saying "File has already been analyzed", click Reanalyze or Scan again.

Submitting file samples to the anti-virus vendor for further analysis allows the lab Techs to quickly investigate and confirm if the detection is actually malware. Some security programs have built-in options for submitting a file directly from the quarantined area to the vendor's lab for analysis. Most user guides will explain how to do that. Other anti-virus solutions automatically submit files or provide an alert to do so if you have checked the option to "Submit for analysis in the program's settings. If those options are unavailable, most anti-virus vendors have instructions for sample file submissions posted on their web sites. You should also contact and advise the program vendor that one of their files is being detected as a threat. In many cases they will work with the anti-virus Techs in an attempt to resolve the detection.

For submission to a specific anti-virus vendor, please see:

#5 Tonatiuh

Tonatiuh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

I understand that I must follow the procedures, but the executable size is 124MB, and most the maximum size for analysis (provided pages) is 64mb How do I analyze? How? 

The program has viruses, I'm sure, I do not know how they did it 

I guess this is like AIDS, you must learn to live with it. 

I offer the program along with the password to anyone who wants to try it. Maybe you quietman7?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

I don't use the program and was not aware it was that large. You should contact your anti-virus vendor and ask them for instructions when dealing with a file 124MB in size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users