Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

d drive missing and can't extract files from computer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mooglebooboo

Mooglebooboo

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

something is wrong with my d drive. so i went to dell for the drivers, but i cannot extract the file i downloaded.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:53 PM

A little more information would be useful - make and model of computer; your d:\ drive - a second partition on one hard drive or a separate disk ?; what drivers did you go to Dell for ?; what sort of file is the file you downloaded ?

Come back with this and we will have a go at solving your problem.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Mooglebooboo

Mooglebooboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

dell inspiron e1505, d drive TssTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462D there's an exclamation mark on picture icon. this is where i downloaded from: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=R181909

its a zip file. I've been having problems downloading from websites. Sometimes the download doesn't appear on my desktop or won't unzip. For example when i download itunes, it doesn't show up on my desktop and shows no download history.  The desktop is no the only place it doesn't show up.  It's any location.

Edited by Mooglebooboo, 20 June 2014 - 07:20 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

Right, I'm beginning to get a grip on this !  You have a problem with your CD/DVD drive which you believe is driver related, so you quite correctly went to Dell for the drivers but you can't get the zipped file to unzip. You didn't say what operating system you have, but if I remember correctly, XP came bundled with a version of WinZip and Vista didn't, neither does Win 7. But you can find the file that you downloaded from Dell.

To see if you have unzipping software, go into Windows Explorer and find this zipped file from Dell, then RIGHT click on its name. Then see if there are options in the context menu that appears like 'Unzip here ...' or 'Unzip to ...' . If commands like this appear, you have unzipping software. In which case, move the file to a folder of its own before you do anything else, then RIGHT click again and select 'Unzip here' and the file will unzip into that folder. Once it is unzipped, just double click on the driver exe file to start the install. Dell include full instructions for the install on the page you quoted.

If you don't have any unzipping software, then go here and download and install the free 7-Zip  -

http://www.7-zip.org/

Once you have installed it, when you right click on a zipped file you will find 'Unzip here' commands in the context menu.

In Win 7 and Vista, and I think in XP, the default location for downloads is 'Favourites/Downloads', it is not the desktop unless you have specified the desktop as the place to put downloads. If you open Windows Explorer - if you don't have an icon on  the taskbar or desktop for it, RIGHT click on the Start button then click on 'Explore; - you should see favourites at the top of the left hand panel in the Explorer screen.

If you still have any problems, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Mooglebooboo

Mooglebooboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

I was able to unzip the file, but I got two folders named Dos and Windows.  I don't know what to do with the files.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

Ok, I have just been on to the Dell web-site and downloaded the file. First of all, have I got the correct one ?  The one I downloaded is called TS-L462D_DE09.ZIP .

And you are correct, it unzips to two folders called 'Dos' and 'Windows'. This is where I run into a small difficulty - I don't have a Dell computer anywhere near me and none of the five computers in this house use that pattern of optical drive. So it now becomes a judgement call !

Double click on the folder called 'Windows' to open it. Since you are running Windows, it seems the obvious choice. Inside you will see two files called, assuming I do have the correct .ZIP file, 462DDE09.BIN  and SFDNWIN.exe. Ignore the .BIN file, that contains data for the .exe file to use.

RIGHT click on the file called SFDNWIN.exe and then select 'Run as Administrator', this will start it running. Click 'Yes' or 'Accept' on any warning boxes that crop up and it will install the drivers for your optical drive.

NOTE this information from Dell, you will find it at the bottom of the web-page you linked me to earlier :-

Important Information from Dell
1. Don't power off or reset the computer while updating. 2. Windows must restart to complete this operation. 3. Please save all work and close all applications prior to restarting Windows. 4. Windows/DOS firmware flash update.

Installation instructions
Windows based firmware flash utility update for TSST TS-L462D 24x Slim CDRW/DVD:-
1. Download and unzip the TS-L462D_DE09.zip into your desktop.
2. In "TS-L462D_DE09" folder, please search for the "windows" folder.
3. In "windows" folder, please make sure you have the administrator right, and double click on "SFDNWIN.exe".
4. On the top left corner of the utility, click on "Download File Open" button and search and click on "462DDE09.BIN" and "Open" it.
5. On the top left corner of the utility, click on "Start Download" button.
6. Just wait for the firmware update completion, you should see "Update Successful".
7. Windows must restart to complete this operation, please save all work and close all applications prior to restarting Windows. Click on "Restart Windows".

Once this is completed, your optical drive should be working again. Let us know how you get on.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Mooglebooboo

Mooglebooboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

when i click 'run as' i chose the bubble current user which is probably the administrator. I only have one desktop user. then it says driver not found then a windows pops up called

windows.jpg

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

Looking at the image you have just posted, I think we have both been barking up the wrong tree. Two things lead me to this conclusion. First of all, when I run this file both on my Win 7 desktop and on an elderly Toshiba laptop, running XP, we keep as a spare machine, the top line 'Drives' is filled in with the type number of one or other of my optical drives. The second is something you said in your post #3 -

there's an exclamation mark on picture icon

Would I be right in thinking that you saw this exclamation mark in 'Device Manager' ?  If so, it is almost certainly the device drivers that are faulty or missing, while the file you have downloaded is a firmware update which you probably don't actually need.

So, go back into 'Device Manager' - click 'Start - Settings - Control panel - double click on System'. This will open the 'System Properties' dialogue box. Select 'Hardware', and then 'Device Manager', then click on the + sign beside the line 'DVD/CD-Rom drives'. This will let you see your optical drive.

Double click on the optical drive and its properties box will open. Along the top of the box you will see tabs such as 'General', 'DVD region' and 'Driver'. Click on 'Driver', and at the bottom you will see a button marked 'Uninstall'. Click on this, then click 'OK' in the next box and your optical disc drivers will be uninstalled. When it has finished uninstalling the driver, which won't take very long, re-boot the computer.

The actual driver is a generic Microsoft driver and will be re-installed on the re-boot. Once you have re-booted, check and see if your drive is now working and if the exclamation mark has gone. Post back and let us know the result - whatever it is !

I don't think you will need that file you downloaded from Dell, but you might as well hang on to it.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 Mooglebooboo

Mooglebooboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:17 PM

it still the same

the message in the 'device status' area says:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged (Code19)

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,610 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

Hello, Please run the Microsoft Fixit and see if it solves the problem. Reboot after running the fixit.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems

#11 Mooglebooboo

Mooglebooboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

dunno.pngdoes this mean to remove my cd drive then let it continue? i tried to remove it but it won't come. I chose the second option and got this:

dunno1.png

Edited by Mooglebooboo, 30 June 2014 - 06:33 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,610 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

I believe it is saying you need to either unplug and reattach the SATA data cable or attach the SATA data cable to another SATA port on the motherboard. It may be talking about a USB external drive also. I am not sure.

II would do the following.

Pick the second option (no removable drive) and click next. If that does not solve the problem then do the following.

Turn off the computer, unplug your power cord and push the power button for 10 seconds. Ground yourself by touching some bare metal of the case. Open the computer and change the location of the SATA data cable to another port on the motherboard. I would also reseat the power cable on the drive. Then reboot the computer. It may find your CD/DVD drive. If it does not, run the fixit again. At the above windows, select the first option (removable drive) and press next. If it still cannot fix the problem, I believe the CD/DVD drive is bad.

Edit: The above is if you have a SATA drive. If it is IDE, just reseat the IDE cable to the drive and motherboard.

Edit Edit: I say your edited post. You are going to have to reseat the data and power cable of the drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 June 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#13 Mooglebooboo

Mooglebooboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:23 PM

this is a laptop and i don't know how to disconnect stuff so I'm clueless what SATA cable is

Edited by Mooglebooboo, 01 July 2014 - 08:24 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,610 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

I am sorry. That was my mistake. I thought it was a desktop but your post #3 indicates a Dell Inspiron. I believe the problem is a bad optical drive. If I can find a service manual for this computer, it should show how you can replace the drive. On the laptop there are no cables connecting the optical drive to the motherboard.

I am sure this is a hardware problem but if you like, you can boot to a USB drive with a linux distro to see if it can detect your CD/DVD drive. If it cannot, then it is either the drive itself or maybe a motherboard problem. You will have to make USB the first boot device in the BIOS. I believe with a Dell you can also press F12 at boot and it will let you choose the boot device.

Download Puppy Linux 5.2.8. Download Rufus. Run it. In the dropdown box, select iso image and click the folder icon. Browse to the Puppy Iso file. Press Start. Any data on the drive will be erased. Attach the Flash Drive to your computer and boot. Press F12 and select your USB flash drive from the list. When Puppy boots you should see your CD/DVD drive in the lower left of the desktop. Place a disk in the drive and click once on the CD/DVD icon. A file manager should open up showing files on the CD/DVD disk. If nothing happens or you get an error then there is a hardware problem and not a XP problem.

Edit Here is a video on the optical drive replacement. Remove the battery and any power adapter before you remove the optical drive

Edit Edit: Because of the age of the computer, you do not have a SATA optical drive. It is IDE. It may be hard to find an inexpensive replacement.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 July 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#15 Mooglebooboo

Mooglebooboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

okay thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users