Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All of a Sudden, Laptop Either Works Great or Is Just Terrible...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Scanno

Scanno

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

I've been having a problem with my laptop the last few days that I think is strange (or it could be very simple, I don't know). 

So my 6 month old laptop just started becoming very unresponsive a couple of days ago: all windows becoming unresponsive, audio and video jumping around, simple applications like the start menu taking minutes to open after clicking. I thought nothing of it, switched off the computer and came back to it the next day. Only now, after I put my password in on startup, I was just getting a blank black screen. I could open task manager with ctrl-alt-del, but I couldn't actually do anything. So I took out the battery and switched it on and off over and over and each time I got a black screen on startup. THEN, when I did get it to work everything becomes unresponsive either immediately or within half an hour. But every now and then I switch it on and everything works fantastically!

It's not an internet thing, I have the problem on and off line. I downloaded the Windows Malicious Software Removal tool and did a scan and came up with no viruses. I did scans with Microsoft Security Essentials and SpyBot and found nothing either. It can't be a case of the memory being full or anything either coz there's hardly anything on it. 

So in short, every time I switch on my laptop I get either a black screen or a frustratingly unresponsive system. But every so often it works great. Sorry if this post is in the wrong place. I'm not sure that it's a virus so I didn't want to post in the 'Virus Removal' thread.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me what my problem is at least. Preferably how to fix it also, of course!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

:welcome: to the Bleeping Computer Community Scanno!

Is the laptop still under warranty? Was it dropped or any mishap? Have you tried to open advanced mode or F8 on early splash screen and choose

Last Known Good Configuration and or Startup Repair? A system restore is also an option but at this point if the laptop became infected previously or currently, the scenario should be stated also on your next post.

Tekken

#3 Scanno

Scanno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:41 AM

Thanks for the reply jhayz!

No, the computer's never been infected before. I'm pretty sure about that.

As for the warranty: I don't know. It was a gift. But I can find out. I haven't tried any of the things you mentioned in your last post, no. I wouldn't know why or how to do any of that.

I've never had any significant mishap. Dropped it once, but not from very high up and it wasn't damaged. That happened a long time ago anyway.

So it doesn't sound like a virus? If a system restore could fix it I'd give it a go... what does it involve?

#4 blaster3k

blaster3k

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

Hello,

Ok, First you outta find out about the warranty on your laptop, for a system that new to be having those issues I will request warranty quickly. But lets see if we can assist you.

Please provide your laptop's brand and model. Any other  system information might be helpful like serial number/tag, for example if its a Dell system you can easily check the warranty status on their website.  

#5 Scanno

Scanno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

Ya, it had a six month warranty. So it's up now.

Is this of any help:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Other OS Description: Not Available

OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

System Name: USER-PC

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

System Model: K54C

System Type: x64-based PC

Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. K54C.210, 23/10/2012

SMBIOS Version: 2.6

Windows Directory: C:\Windows

System Directory: C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Locale: United Kingdom

Hardware Abstraction Layer: Version = ''6.1.7601.17514''

User Name: User-PC\User

Time Zone: GMT Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 3.00 GB

Total Physical Memory: 2.91 GB

Available Physical Memory: 355 MB

Total Virtual Memory: 5.81 GB

Available Virtual Memory: 2.37 GB

Page File Space: 2.91 GB

Page File: C:\pagefile.sys

And by the way. I checked out system restore. The only restore point available was for two days ago. That's actually when the problem was at it's worst so I don't think that's an option.

Thanks for the reply blaster3k

#6 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

You are not by any chance moving it about when these hangs occur right?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#7 Scanno

Scanno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

You are not by any chance moving it about when these hangs occur right?

Moving what about?

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

Can you boot to safemode? It would be adviceable if you can remove Spybot completely as it's not recommended nowadays due to buggy and poor test results as mentioned here.

Additional methods in resolving the problem :

Using Last Known Good Configuration

Windows 7 Startup Repair

Asus Self Diagnostic Support Page

How to perform a Clean Boot to identify conflicts in Windows

:exclame: Might also work, try removing the battery pack with AC adapter disconnected then press the power button for 20 seconds atleast. It is also worth noting that a failing hard drive or a corrupt system or user account is possible.

Tekken

#9 blaster3k

blaster3k

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:50 AM

Hello Scanno,

Following jhaz advise and recommendation, I agree that you could have a corrupt operating system. I will just performed a factory reset of the system. Should the system continue to behave erratically, Just like jhaz indicated, a faulty hard drive could be the problem.  , 

#10 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

Moving the laptop itself

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users