Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card compatibility

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Magnarider

Magnarider

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

I have a HP a 1550y, I want to put a DELL video card in it. Will it work?

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Cp309-Radeon-256mb-Ati-102-b27602/dp/B0091RT37O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402696199&sr=8-1&keywords=ati-102-b27602+b

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:39 PM

The simple answer is, if you have the card as donated or as a spare then yes it would most likely work given that there is a PCI-E slot for the motherboard and a compatible card available. But if you would purchased the card, then it would be better buying a more decent but same price tag from the given link. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-630/specifications

Tekken

#3 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:27 PM

The card was given to me but Im wondering if I should even attempt to install it. Will it be OK and will it work?

Thanks for your help.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:06 PM

It will work as it's a ATI Radeon card PCI-e.

Edited by jhayz, 13 June 2014 - 11:07 PM.

Tekken

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:10 AM

Yes it will likely work, however being Dell branded, the AMD update utility may not offer any drivers for it. 

I had such a GPU in my Dell for about 3 months, though it was an AMD card, it's OEM, therefore no new drivers were issued. You may have to accept whatever drivers that Windows offers, as I'm not sure if the native Dell ones will work on an HP system. 

For that matter, many of the HP drivers doesn't work on some HP computers, can't recall the driver, there was one for Home Premium (Win 7 Home Premium). Well, through the Windows Anytime Upgrade option in the Start Menu, I upgraded from Home Premium to Pro inside of 10 minutes. Then, some of HP's custom drivers for the PC wouldn't install on the Pro version & there was a box with warning on this. Something to do with the fact that the PC shipped with Home Premium & that the driver only worked on Starter, Home Basic/Premium. 

Wouldn't work on Pro or Ultimate. 

Just letting you know.....

Have a great weekend!  :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 14 June 2014 - 12:11 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:11 AM

Thanks cat1092 for the added information. :thumbup2: If ever he needs the driver for AMD for Windows XP up to Windows 7, here is a sample link for Vista/ windows 7. To enter the choice of product/type and OS for the video card is here.

Tekken

#7 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for the help and info I will try to install it today.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:15 AM

Ok, let us know of the result. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#9 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:50 AM

It did not work maybe the card is junk or it just doesnt work I dunno but this card gives no video. So im out 15.00 I think I need a new computer. That would be the best thing to do.

Thanks. 

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

Does the inbuilt graphics work at all? Have you checked the BIOS to ensure that the card is enabled? Many computers has an option in Setup for multi card support, it has to be enabled for it to work, so that the MB will see & power it at boot. If you haven't already, please check to see if the setting is there & enabled. 

Depending on what you're using the PC for, it may still be usable, though not likely with Windows 8, maybe 7. Or Linux. 

My limited experience with HP has shown that these units are picky about what 3rd party hardware is added internally, other than basics such as drives (storage & optical). Dells tend to be more flexible, though on some older models, an adapter may be required to install 3rd party hardware, such as genuine Intel CPU coolers. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

I havent checked the BIOS. When the card is installed it gets no video at all.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

If you're getting no video at all, not to be able to see the BIOS settings, remove it & then boot to see if there is such a setting. 

Some computers doesn't have this switchable option, others does. The reason that I ran across the setting was that on Windows 7, my WEI score didn't improve after adding the MSI R7770 (based on AMD Radeon HD 7770). The WEI software kept sensing the inbuilt Intel 4600 graphics & used it for the score, being it was the lowest. 

Once I switched off dual graphics, then was able to see the full performance of the card & graphics score shot from 6.9 to 7.5. So for some, it's good to have it enabled, for others it isn't. 

Attached File  Capture (AMD Graphics).PNG   456.32KB   0 downloads  Attached File  Capture (MSI R770).PNG   293.38KB   0 downloads

And there's always the possibility that the card itself is bad, even if it doesn't seem evident. The only way to determine this would be to try it in another PC. 

Cat

#13 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

OK thanks I will check and see what exactly am I looking for?

Thanks

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

It depends on how the option is worded, in my UEFI BIOS there was a setting to enable/disable the built in graphics. Whatever the wording is will have to do with video or graphics. I cannot tell what the exact term is, as there are many brands & versions of BIOS software. 

If the option is there, it would likely be under System, Hardware or Graphics, you'll need to comb through the settings good. Only one setting should have to be changed, not several. Look carefully & if in doubt, don't mess with a setting. Be sure to either take a before & after picture with a digital camera (many cell phones has one), or carefully write down what was changed & where. 

Otherwise, if something should not go right, you'll have to reset the BIOS to defaults, wiping away any other custom settings made, if any. 

To navigate through the BIOS settings, you'll need to use the right & left arrow keys to get to main selections & the up & down ones to see the sub menus within. 

If you feel uncomfortable or queasy about dealing with the BIOS settings, then I caution you not to proceed & find a helpful friend/family member who has experience. What I don't want to see, is you ending up with an unbootable computer & not knowing how to retrieve defaults. It is imperative to learn which key loads the defaults before making any changes. When you first enter the Setup, this key will be likely displayed near the bottom of the screen. It will say something in regards to "Load Defaults" or "Default Configuration", followed by the proper "F" key to press to access it. 

Typically, F10 saves settings after changing, or allows you to exit w/out changing anything & will then reboot. 

To enter Setup to begin, you'll need to press & hold either F2 or ESC at boot, have the key held down when it's powered. Note that with some computers that was shipped with a PS/2 keyboard & mouse, that a USB one may not allow access to these settings. 

Again, I caution you, if you've never done this & are unsure, don't bother, incorrect settings/values can leave you with an unbootable computer & could be difficult to recover, unless you're really good at following instructions and are able to understand the menu selections & how to navigate.

Cat

#15 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

rwsn.jpgrwsn.jpgIMG_20140616_195603_710.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users