Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jonni2341

jonni2341

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:41 PM

Hi folks, I have had some strange action on my PC in the last few days. First of all I was notified of 3 updates waiting to be installed so, I installed them and 2 passed but one failed. I brought up the lone update and tried to fiddle around in the window hoping I could get it to instal again but, the monitor screen flickered and that update went off the screen. At the same time I lost Mozilla firefox and another app called System Mechanic plus, worst of all I lost Internet Explorer. I checked in Program files and there were some files in there to do with I.E. but nothing to let me re-instal it. Eventually I decided to do a restore of the system but, before that, I went into Windows Updates and I found that all my my previous 156 updates had disappeared as well and, all that was left were the two updates that had originally  updated OK, but the one that had failed was not shown. About 3 weeks ago I was having trouble with update installation (they were failing) so I found a tech firm on the internet who said they would fix the problem for £65. I  let them go ahead so, having taken control of my computer it took them 4.5 days to (supposedly) fix the problem. I was watching the process and I thought it looked kosher,so I paid them. Now that I have had some more updates to instal I find that the problem is still there. I would greatly appreciate it if some one could make some suggestions as to what I can do with this problem, also the problem of the lost 156 updates of which the best part of them passed and the remainder failed. Sorry for the long screed. I did a restore of the system and I got I.E. back. System Mechanic is on a disc. Best regards in anticipation of a favourable reply, jonni2341

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

Make and model of your computer?  I think the first thing I'd do would be to back up any data I didn't want to lose.  Next I'd be sure I have the discs needed to restore to factory settings.  Usually this is documented in your user guide which is on your hard drive most of the time.

After the above, I'd download Malwarebytes from here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/ , get it up to date, then boot to Safe Mode.  Then do a full system scan with it and your antivirus.  There're other possible tools if that doesn't fix the problem, but this is a good start.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 13 June 2014 - 08:33 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 jonni2341

jonni2341
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

Hi WpgWpg, The problen I have here is that I do not have the windows disc so I cant go back to factory settings as I dont have the pc product key. Any ideas on how i can get that in the registry?I dont know the registry keys it is stored. How do \i get to the user guide? Many thanks for replying, much appreciated Regards, jonni2341

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

If you download Speccy and run it on your computer it will include in the data that you can see the Windows key. If you ever publish a Speccy report, this is NOT included in the published report. You can get Speccy for free from here -

www.piriform.com

You may have to download it on a different computer to your own, and it might make life simpler for you if you get the stand-alone version which will analyse your computer without being installed, you will find this version here -

http://www.piriform.com/speccy/builds

If you finish up having to do a Windows re-install, with the recovered license key you can use any appropriate install disc and YOUR key to do the re-install. But back-up your data before you do this.

Have you run a malware scan to check that this isn't at the root of your problems ?  If you haven't, download Malwarebytes from here -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Install it, start it, let it update then run a ''Quick' scan. If it comes up with any problems that it cannot fix by itself, then post back here to say so and then start a topic in the 'Am I infected?' section of BC.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users