Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 xp update?

xp update?

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

hi,

i googled 'xp update 12th june 2014?' this morning, and found your forum.

the little yellow shield with one update appeared this morning on my PC - its the kb/ 890830  malious software removal tool.....

should i install it ?????

i use avast. (which i am very happy with )

and yes i am windows xp.

please let me know. i would really appreciate it. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xp update?

xp update?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

any answer to my question above?

it is OK to install this kb/ 890830  malious software removal tool..... on xp ? cos im shutting down the PC now and em well?

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

Yes, you can & should install the monthly MMSRT. It'll scan for many known malicious softwares in the background. Or you can run it on demand.

It's the very same tool that MS ships to all of it's currently supported customers. And considering you're running an unsupported OS, be glad to get it, as the OS needs all of the assistance it can get at fighting the bad guys.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 xp update?

xp update?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

but i shouldnt be getting an monthly anythings from MS. I am not reassured at all.

and now i had followed your advice and installed it..., and i can't even see it in the add / remove programs list...... it should be there, right? but where is it ( yes i have clicked 'show all updates' )

and why doesnt MS offically announce it?

why is it not listed in the add / remove programs? not cool at all.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

Microsoft did officially announce that MSE (if already installed) would continue to receive updates & the MMSRT would be available for one year after April 8, 2014.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download?os=winxp&arch=other

It's likely buried somewhere in your list of updates, go to the Control Panel, select Add or Remove Programs, be sure to place a checkmark in "Show Updates", just look for the date of install, should be there, if not don't worry, as long as you know it was installed.

Did you check "Update History" on the Windows Update page? It'll have to load to see contents.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 12 June 2014 - 06:47 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 xp update?

xp update?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

ah thanks a mil cat.

i just found an article, that mentions that in small writing at the end http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows/security-essentials-download.

will follow up your points now.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

The only thing about the article that you linked above, is that MSE had to be installed prior to April 8, 2014. to receive continual updates on XP systems. Webpage need to be updated to reflect this, when I attempted to test download one, an XP version wasn't shown in the options. 

It's too late to install MSE on XP at this point, plus most likely you're better off with Avast. It does much more at no cost, one function that I like about it is the Browser Cleanup. Gets rid of unneeded junk. 

Cat

#8 xp update?

xp update?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:29 AM

hi, i am now writing from the library. well, i am stuffed. looking for advice.

i closed down and then reopened my PC - it showed my log in account unlogged in (doesnt normally) and when i clicked on that a microsoft box came up and said -

windows product activation

"this copy of windows must be activated with microsoft before you can log on. do you want to activate windows now? " yes or no....

i clicked no. when i clicked 'yes' it was looking for me to out my original reg number in !!!!! !

i went into safe mode and ran avast and malwarebyte scans. nothing.

please tell me what is wrong here ! its that security malious install from MS that caused this.

( i use avast all the time, keep it well updated and scanned and browser clean up too ) 

what should i do??? go back into safe mode and then what. my PC has been working like a dream this last year  - i had got it serviced last summer. and now this this lock out last night or whatever it is. i am certainly not going to put in my reg keys ! help.

#9 xp update?

xp update?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:45 AM

btw that install still didnt show in the add/remove programs lists. and 'show all updates' was ticked. last update was in May.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

You need to activate that computer ASAP before seeking further assistance.

You've had it since at least last summer & not activated? Why?

Something isn't adding up, every time that I've installed XP, activation was required before proceeding with updates. Though I wouldn't say it's impossible, I haven't seen reports of malware showing to simply activate an OS. I mean, one doesn't have to enter personal information for that, registration is optional. Activation isn't.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 13 June 2014 - 11:25 AM.

#11 xp update?

xp update?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

all is well. pc fixed. nothing to do with the out of the blue xp malious software removal tool update. sorry for my previous 'meltdown'. the issue was, i had scanned using malwarebytes after (1st time) and it found a number of things, got rid of them, and in that got rid of something a file and so caused the strange request for activation when i started up the PC again..etc, PC man sorted it out for me. and all is very well. thank you for your support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users