Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer won't play DVD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 beyondfrustrated

beyondfrustrated

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

I can't get my computer to play a dvd.  I'm trying to run it on PowerDVD10 and it says, "NO Disc in Drive D:"

I've also tried to get it to play on windows media center and nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

Look in Windows Explorer and Device Manager to see if it shows there.  If it doesn't, you've got a hardware problem.  If it does, you may just need to clean your drive with an inexpensive disc you can buy at stores selling computers.  Worst case you could buy an external CD/DVD drive for around $25 and plug it into a USB slot.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 beyondfrustrated

beyondfrustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

Look in Windows Explorer and Device Manager to see if it shows there.

I looked in Windows Explorer and couldn't find 'Device Manager' - still looking.  But, what 'it' am I looking for?

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

You're looking to see if your CD/DVD drive shows up there as I mentioned earlier.  To get to Device Manager the specifics depend on what version of Windows you're running, and I'm afraid you neglected to provide that info.  For now I'll give you details for how to do it with Windows 7.  Click Start and right-click Computer, then click Properties, then click Device Manager.  Look for CD/DVD drives.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:46 PM

you  might want to test other DVDs also to just to see if it's not just a disc problem before dealing with a bigger problem.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

Have you tried a different disk?  Some DVDs have things on them that prevent them from working properly on a PC.  This is known as Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is their way of saying to their paying customers you don't own what you paid for.  I believe everyone should be paid for their work and that people who pay for your product should not be punished.

#7 beyondfrustrated

beyondfrustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

I was able to find the device manager and yes, the Pioneer DVD-RW shows there.  I'll try getting a disc to clean it.

Thanks for your help!

BTW, I was trying to play a disc I rented from Red Box, so there shouldn't have been any DRM issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users