Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS A7V400-MX - Won't Recognise New Memory Modules

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewSe

AndrewSe

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

Hi

I have a custom built tower with an ASUS A7V400-MX motherboard, which had 2x500mb cards. I got 2 new 'Crucial' memory modules brand new in static packs, which were DDR (not DD2/3) and 1 gig each, which is what the manual says this motherboard can take max.

So I put the 2 new 1 Gig modules in and turned PC on and it started a slow repetitive beeping. Then took memory out and put one of the old 512mb back and this time it booted. Finally turned it of and put one of the new 1 gig ones in as well, rebooted and checked task manager and it only seemed to be using 500mb.

Can't work out why it won't recognise new memory. I checked upgrade for this motherboard on crucial site (link below) and it lists the memory module, but I noticed this said (NON-ECC) and the new mosule says ECC on it. Is it this that is causing the problem perhaps or is there something else I can do to check why it is not recognising?

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-memory-for/ASUS/a7v400-mx

Many thanks for any suggestions

Andrew

Edited by AndrewSe, 13 June 2014 - 01:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

If the board/system calls for non-ECC RAM...that's what you need to install.  The motherboard specs determine the proper type of RAM for the board to function properly.

http://dlcdnas.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/km400a/a7v400-mx/e1817_a7v400-mx.pdf

Contact Crucial, return the purchased RAM for the correct modules...they are reasonable.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 June 2014 - 05:30 PM.

#3 AndrewSe

AndrewSe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:12 AM

Louis

Swapped memory quite a few times between PCs and never heard of this EEC thing. Just to be clear so Crucial doesn't get a negative image they never supplied me directly, it was someone's old stock.

Thanks

Andrew

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:57 PM

If you use Google...you can read all you want about EEC vs non-EEC RAM.  In a nutshell...EEC RAM might be used by a server, while the vast majority of PCs use non-EEC RAM modules.

No point in having RAM which doesn't work with your motherboard, free or not, purchased, or otherwise acquired.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users