Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Outlook wipes my email from my other email apps

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oldcaptainrusty

oldcaptainrusty

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

Went to Wndows 7 after the end of XP support. Decided to set up the Microsoft Outlook in the Office 2007 so I could utilize the calender etc. I have traditionally accessed my email through the ISPs applications on my computer as well as my iPad and iPhone. It seems that the MS Outllook has wiped out my emails from the ISP apps back to the middle of March.I can get my curent emails as long as I don't open the MS outlook. Is there a setting in the MS outlook that I can change to prevent this or am I bound to the MS Outlook for my email access. Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

You don't have to use Outlook, you can use Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail.  There're probably others as well, but I use Tbird and WLM myself.  Of course there's always web mail too.  I have to say though that it doesn't sound right for Outlook to be doing what you describe.  Do you have all the MS maintenance for it installed?  I have Office 2007 and get updates for it all the time.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Ariawatson

Ariawatson

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:18 AM

Hi Rusty

Here are the steps to change access and  permission in Outlook.

Remove the “NT AUTHORITY\SELF” from the full permissions
First thing you can do is to remove the “NT AUTHORITY\SELF” from the full permissions setting in Exchange 2007/2010 (untested but I do not believe Exchange 2003 creates this user on mailboxes but instead has one labeled “SELF” which would be the equivalent.) 
In the Exchange management console, navigate to “Recipient Configuration” and click on “Mailbox”. Find the user that needs to be disabled or have the password changed and click on it. On the right hand side under the actions pane click on the “Manage Full Access Permissions….” And in the new window remove the “NT AUTHORITY\SELF”. This is an immediate change from what I have tested as long as the user doesn’t have an existing session already open. If they do, then you can bet the fifteen minute rule still applies.

The only problem with this is, should the employee be re-employed by “ABC Inc.” before the mailbox is removed and you should need to reactivate it, then you will need to add the “NT AUTHORITY\SELF” user to the full mailbox rights or they won’t be able to access their mailbox. This can’t be done from the same window you removed it from, since the management console looks to your active directory to find the user to add, the “NT AUTHORITY\SELF” is not a true user in the sense of AD. Instead you will need to add this using the Exchange management shell using the following command,

Add-MailboxPermission –Identity “*user*” –User “NT AUTHORITY\SELF” –Accessright Fullaccess

Exchange 2003 and earlier, you’re just going to have to re-create the mailbox.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:04 AM

Try this first. There is really no reason to go mucking through the steps mentioned in the post above.

If you mean mail is deleted from the ISP web mail page when you open Outlook, that is the nature of email clients when using them with POP mail.

Set Outlook to leave a copy of the mail on the server. This will download mail to Outlook and keep it in webmail.

I don't know where the setting to change it is in Outlook. You can use the Outlook help files to find out.

Note: When you open Outlook to change the setting mail will download from the server into Outlook and will not be available in webmail after it downloads. If you want to keep any mail in web mail create a temporary folder in webmail, move all inbox messages to that folder. Open Outlook, make the change. Then go back to web mail and move from temp folder back to inbox.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 June 2014 - 09:06 AM.

#5 oldcaptainrusty

oldcaptainrusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

Seemed to have solved the problem. Thanks for all the replies. I started with the recommendation fo Queen-Evie because I had some idea how to accomplish it. Thanks Areiwatson for your reply but I had no idea where to start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users