Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop webcam video is too warm?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

I just bought a Lenovo Ideapad s510p laptop.

For the past couple of days I've been trying to figure out if the issue is the webcam (built-in) itself

or just a settings issue.

The video on the webcam comes out way too warm (meaning, the color tones are too yellow/orangish as

oppose to "cool" which would be more bluish/greens).   It's also a bit darker (the shadows seem to be darker for

example around the eyes.  There was not software on the laptop that could enable me to access the webcam settings

and adjust them so I had to download one and even after playing around with the brightness/contrast and hue, saturation, etc.,

it still doesn't seem to help much.

In contrast, my older netbook (an Asus) which records in only 640x480 reproduces the colors perfectly as natural as the eye

could see without having any adjusting.  

I'm wondering if this issue is something to do with the webcam itself and should I return and it and stay away from Lenovo

from now on, or is it more likely a settings issue that can correct it (even though I've tried and didn't help much...it just became

too blue or too light or washed out)?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

I'd check out the Lenovo site for possible firmware, driver, and software updates.  If the issue continues I'd return the laptop.

#3 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

Yes, I have downloaded and installed webcam drivers.  The rest of the computer works fine.  I downloaded Lenovo Easy Capture software but that program is a piece of crap.  When I set the resolution to 1280x720p and record/capture video, it saves it automatically at 160x120 and in WMV format! Huh?  Then when I try to uninstall it from "remove/uninstall" programs, it tells me I don't have Lenovo Easy Capture installed even though it loads it up.  Weiirrrd company.   I should have stuck with ASUS.

#4 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

another thing I noticed is when I put my hand around the edge of the camera hole (sort of acting like a lens hood), it color tone changes to a cooler tone which is nicer to see.  But as soon as I remove my hand away from the webcam hole and sit back, the color tone changes back to a warm suntan looking tone which is not accurate (as people don't look like they have a tan on them unless they actually do, but I'm pretty pale yet I look like I have a bronze tan on me).

Does anyone know if this could be some sort of setting like incandescent, fluorescent....i noticed on digital cameras and camcorders, these sort of manual settings make color tones like this, but i don't know how to do it on webcam cameras if they even have such a setting.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users