Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To Quarantine or Delete

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 linked_up

linked_up

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:43 AM

I did a malware scan on my PC found 10 problem files.. Is better to Delete or keep them quarantined? I dont need these files but if I delete them will they just get re-installed..

Edited by hamluis, 13 June 2014 - 08:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

>> if I delete them will they just get re-installed.. <<

I do not understand how they can be Re-installed, unless you plan to Re-infect the computer yourself ?????

Do you always visit sites that you know will infect your computer ?? If not Delete them. now -

#3 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

I'm pretty sure he just ment that if they where necessary to run something, he'd just reinstall that something.

Either way, quarantine basically saves the file on your AV's Vault just in case it was a vital file AND a false positive and you can get it back, while delete simply deletes the file, what you do is up to you.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

It's safe practice to Quarantine, rather than Delete when files are suspected to be infected or malicious. In the quarantine chest, these won't reinstall themselves, and after a few days or weeks can be safely deleted if not needed. Be double sure before total deletion, as there could be a seldom used app or service that needs the file(s) in the chest.

Certain files such as Open Candy software can & should be deleted, no point in keeping this type of file (adware/PUP) on the computer. MBAM picks up on these type of files on Hyper (short) scans & normally a reboot will be needed for complete removal.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

I've never kept any quarantined item...and I've never had cause to regret it.

How can a file that is either severely damaged or not right for the system...have any possible redeeming value?  If it's a system file, a clean copy is preferred over an infected or damaged one.  If it's not a system file and it's safe...then you need to ask yourself why it was quarantined.

Even if it were a false positive...any good file is easily reinstalled/replaced.

I understand the logic of the premise...I just think it's faulty reasoning because the premise is invalid.

Louis

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:50 PM

Louis, I agree with you 100% with your view on this.  :thumbup2:

And on my own computers, I delete w/out hesitation. However I perform maintenance on other's computers & in the instances where there's no time to perform an image before repair (my preferred method), choose Quarantine as a safe default. Later on, the next time I get to them, I image the drive, empty these quarantine folders, run virus/malware scans & extended disk cleanup & if all is OK, re-image again & delete the prior one. 

If I'm busy & have just a few minutes to drop by for diagnosis/repair, or calling to walkthrough, I feel it's safer & that's the only time I'll save quarantined files. In an instance such as this, it's usually urgent & I don't have time to fiddle with an unbootable computer. Sometimes these calls may come in at 11PM-2AM, I'm not getting out that late to perform a computer repair, it's normally the time when I participate here or at another forum unrelated to computing. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

Doesn't hurt to leave them there for a while though, to be sure. They normally get a name change with a .vir extension and become inactive without manual manipulation.

The chances are that if your anti-virus found 10 items there is more on your system. Your antivirus alone cannot remove most infections, it is more of a protection mechanism than a removal tool. You should start a removal topic OP.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

Hello linked_up,

Your question could be answered more easily if we knew which files were found by the scan.   Can you please post the log for us?  I'm transferring this topic to the Am I Infected forum.

~ Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

I did a malware scan on my PC found 10 problem files.. Is better to Delete or keep them quarantined? I dont need these files but if I delete them will they just get re-installed..

Just based my reply on this question as written.

It said Malware Scan produced several (I assume infected items) files.

As per Orange Blossom, please tell us the scan that was done and the result, if you have any logs -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users