Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about Puppy Linux

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:26 AM

I tried this distro (the PAE version) last night and it's quite a nice OS. Everything thing you need for a basic PC is in it including music and video players (with pre-installed codecs) and the ability to connect to NAS instantly. I only tried it though running on USB flashdrive. However, when I tried to shutdown the PC, it asked me to save my settings and it automatically picked up one of my Windows hard drive as the save destination. Is it okay to use the Windows hard drive for this? Will it affect the Windows OS in any way? I tried saving it to the USB flashdrive where the Puppy Linux is installed but it makes everything slow when I boot to it again.

Also, how to change the mouse setting from single-click to double-click?

Thanks!

Edited by badr0b0t, 13 June 2014 - 06:30 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

Once it's up and running, it should run as the same speed whether you saved the savefile to USB or to the hard drive, because Puppy exists entirely in the computer's RAM (unless you have 256MB or less of RAM, IIRC). It will just take slightly longer to start up and shut down if you use a USB for the savefile rather than the hard drive.

To answer your question, yes it's fine to save the savefile to the hard drive, although it's important to defragment the hard drive first.

If in any doubt, you could save the savefile to USB first, then boot up with Windows and copy the file to C:. That way you can be sure that it won't confuse Windows in any way, and as long as you copy it directly to C: (i.e. don't put it in any folder), Puppy will find it when you boot up.

It would also be an idea to copy the sfs and devx files to C: while you're at it.

(If using Lucid Puppy or any other Puppy that creates it's own folder for the sfs file etc, then copy that folder to C:)

Edited by Al1000, 13 June 2014 - 06:53 AM.

#3 badr0b0t

badr0b0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:55 AM

Thanks. What's the deal with Lucid Puppy? How is it different?

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:40 AM

For some reason Lucid creates a folder for the sfs file, whereas other Pups such as Precise don't.

Here's a thread I came across recently on the Puppy forum regarding why so many people choose Lucid.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93619

Re double clicking, there is a option to disable single clicking in Rox filer. Open Rox (e.g. by clicking on the ''file'' desktop icon), right click in an empty space in the window that opens, select options, and uncheck the single click box.

#5 badr0b0t

badr0b0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

For some reason Lucid creates a folder for the sfs file, whereas other Pups such as Precise don't.

Here's a thread I came across recently on the Puppy forum regarding why so many people choose Lucid.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93619

Re double clicking, there is a option to disable single clicking in Rox filer. Open Rox (e.g. by clicking on the ''file'' desktop icon), right click in an empty space in the window that opens, select options, and uncheck the single click box.

Thanks man. Helpful answers.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:24 AM

You're welcome. Hope you have fun with Puppy!

#7 badr0b0t

badr0b0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

You're welcome. Hope you have fun with Puppy!

I hope I can also make it run on 4 monitors just for fun. It's can be done with Mint and Ubuntu, I hope I can do the same with Puppy. :)

Edited by badr0b0t, 13 June 2014 - 08:57 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

I'm not sure if it can do that or not, and I haven't come accross any such options although it's something I have never looked into with Puppy.

I did have an external monitor plugged into my laptop not so long ago, and found that it fired up with Precise but not with Lucid. Although both monitors displayed the same desktop, which I gather is not what you are wanting.

Edited by Al1000, 13 June 2014 - 12:15 PM.

#9 badr0b0t

badr0b0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

Although both monitors displayed the same desktop, which I gather is not what you are wanting.

It's in mirror mode that's why it's the same. It has to be extended mode. I will play with it tonight but I'm sure I need to find a linux driver for my graphics card to make it work. Will let you know If I find something.

Thanks.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

Everything Al said.

Did you install Puppy to USB or run it as an Live iso?

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#11 badr0b0t

badr0b0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

That's a good question. I actually made it as bootable iso in usb using rufus. Can it be installed in usb?

Edited by badr0b0t, 13 June 2014 - 06:07 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,922 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

Yes.  same process as installing to HDD just select the usb instead on internal hdd. If your pc supports booting from SSD you can also install it to SSD card. With puppy you do not even need a hdd.

Edited by NickAu1, 13 June 2014 - 06:11 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#13 badr0b0t

badr0b0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:58 AM

I ended up with Precise Puppy. I am not familiar with all the Lucid versions and their differences but the one I got is so much work. Display drivers, audio and video drivers, etc. have to be configured manually. It seems like it is designed for low specs computers. Precise Puppy is just install and play.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

If you are running Puppy Precise Please read this thread. Puppies do not auto update ( well most dont) From memory only Carolina updates the browser automaticaly.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532925/reminder-to-update-puppy-linux/

Edited by NickAu1, 14 June 2014 - 07:02 PM.

Arch Linux .

#15 badr0b0t

badr0b0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for this. Actually, precise puppy's default browser is Seamonkey which is a lightweight browser. But I installed Google Chrome for slacko which works fine.

Edited by badr0b0t, 15 June 2014 - 09:34 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users