Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Why does my high school block gaming websites?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MikaelaArsenault_*

Guest_MikaelaArsenault_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:17 AM

I am trying to get on a website where you can play games but I get Barracuda Web Filter instead. I have tried two different websites but on both of them I get Barracuda Web Filter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

Maybe they want you to learn stuff rather than play games?

#3 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:39 AM

Anyone can block or filter anything they want online for good reasons. It can be done anywhere. Even at home. Parents can block Youtube, Adult sites, etc. for their kids protection. School time is learning time. You can do your video games when you get home. 

Cheers!

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#4 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:46 AM

Someone sure has that Barracuda appliance configured pretty well.

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

As others have said, you're at school to learn, not play games.  And bear in mind that schools are funded by tax payers.  You wouldn't want to tax me to pay for your games now would you?   :wink:

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

1) They want you to be productive and do what you go to school for-to learn.

2)  Risk of virus and malware infections

3) Many game sites have inappropriate content-graphic images or images of nudity. 

If the computers belong to the school they certainly don't want 2 and 3 on them.

4) They make the rules. It's your responsibility to comply with the rules.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

Mainly because the person in charge of securing the network is doing their job.  I'm sure there is some policy or rule that you agree to when you use the school's network.  I'm also sure that violations of said rule will have appropriate consequences, most likely up to and including expulsion.

This is just getting you ready for the real world where companies protect their network and circumventing those protections can result in punishments up to and including termination of employment.

Now here comes the really bad news, if you do find a site that does work odds are that site will be logged and stop working in the future.  Any time you are on someone else's network you have no idea what they are monitoring about your activities.  So, act as if any thing you do on the school's network can be printed up and presented to your parents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users