Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Laptop Very Slow

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:10 AM

Hi I got a new laptop recently but it's very slow at times. Its specs are as follows.

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit

CPU
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 1701 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

RAM
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. S400CA (SOCKET 0) 48 °C

Storage
465GB Seagate ST500LT012-9WS142 (SATA) 27 °C
22GB SanDisk SSD U100 24GB (SSD)

It is a factory refurb but the specs seemed good. I was thinking of getting 8GB of RAM for it but when it slows down and I check task manager it seems like it's the disk as I/O is at 100%. Memory is usually 3 - 3.5GB in use when it starts slowing.

The only application I have open are chrome with a few tabs and Netbeans. I'm trying to learn how to code HTML5 applications but the slowness is driving me made at times. 

Will getting more RAM improve? How can I determine which type I need. I've used Orca before which I think was recommended by this site but can't find it anymore.

I'm not sure if the SSD is in use, how can I check?

I've googled the HHD and it looks like it's available in 5400rpm and 7200rpm. How can I tell which one mine is and is the one I have causing the slowness?

I thought it was a bunch of ASUS bloatware but I've removed most of it or turned it off at startup.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

Hi,

What security software is installed, is it current and have you run any scans?

When things get slow have you checked the temperature?

More RAM could improve things but I think that's an option for the next level of consideration. Let's get the 'slow' fixed first.

http://www.piriform.com/speccy can give you a good picture of what you have and how hot it's getting

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials or whatever it's called these days. 

Temperature looks fine when it slows down.

Attached is the XML report from speccy. Couldn't upload the .speccy file. 

Speccy was causing issues when attempting to save the file but Ieventually got it done after 2 hard reboots. 

Cheers

Attached Files

Edited by MarcusMaximus, 14 June 2014 - 11:57 PM.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

Hi,

The temperatures are looking like you might check to be sure that all of the vents are clear and the fans are running.

I'll assume that the operating system and the security program are both up to date.

You might open MSCONFIG and take a close look at the SERVICES and STARTUP listings. Carefully disable what you know you don't need. If you have questions, be sure to ask first.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users