Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't run after AdwCleaner reboot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 wwwjohn

wwwjohn

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:39 AM

In an attempt to clean up a Dell Inspiron 1150, i ran AdwCleaner that i had downloaded through BleepingComputer. i didn't run AdwCleaner as an administrator though .. i forgot. AdwCleaner ran the scan & when the AdwCleaner was done i clicked Clean. After that the computer asked me to reboot. i clicked ok & when the computer restarted only the Dell logo appeared for a few seconds. During these seconds it said in the upper right Press F2 for BIOS & Press F12 for Boot Menu. After these few seconds then screen goes blank except for blinking underscore in left corner of screen. Any suggestions sure would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

Edited by hamluis, 13 June 2014 - 04:43 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:57 AM

Can you boot to Safe Mode ?

If so, run Rkill and then Malwarebytes with NO reboot inbetween the two scans....If malwarebytes asks for a reboot that is ok....do so.

Please download RKill by Grinler from the link below and save it to your desktop.

RKill
    Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
    Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
    A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
    If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next reply.
    A log pops up at the end of the run. This log file is located at C:\rkill.log.
    Please post the log in your next reply.

* Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and save it to your desktop

*** If installed, just Update and run a scan -
* Double click the desktop icon, click Run, then OK
* Click Next
* Select I accept the agreement then continue to click Next then finally click Install
** Uncheck Enable free trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium if you do not want the free trial of the paid version, then click Finish
* If you are notified the Database is out of date click Update Now
* Click Scan Now >>
----------** Note: If Malwarebytes will not launch please do the following to launch Malwarebytes Chameleon:
* Click Start (Start, Search, All files and folders for Windows XP) then type mbam
* Double click one of the four following files (if one does not work try the next one, and so on) - A black command window will open. Follow those instructions until the Malwarebytes program starts the scan

mbam-chameleon.scr
mbam-chameleon
mbam-chameleon.exe
mbam-chameleon.com
---------- ** When completed click the down arrow on Export Log and select Text file (*.txt)
* Save the file to your desktop as MBAM
* Click Apply Actions then restart your computer if requested
* Copy and past the contents of MBAM.txt in your reply

Edited by Condobloke, 13 June 2014 - 05:01 AM.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:14 AM

Press F12 for Boot Menu << Select "Last Known Good........" or "Start Normally"

As a last resort select "Safe Mode with Networking"

Report to Condobloke the results when you try these -

Note that with XP you do not usually need to select "Run as Administrator", that is for Vista / Win7 / 8 only.

#4 wwwjohn

wwwjohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:11 AM

i cannot get my Dell Inspiron into Safe Mode. Read that pressing F8 right when computer boots up should get me into Safe Mode. If i instead press F12 on computer boot up i am given 5 options: "Last Known Good........" or "Start Normally" are not in any of these options. The 5 options of a boot device option i do get after pressing F12 on PC boot up are 1. Internal HDD 2. CD/DVD/CD RW Drive 3. Cardbus NIC 4. Onboard NIC 5. Diagnostics

i pressed Enter to try and boot from the Internal HDD, but this just gave me the same result of a blank screen with a blinking underline in the top left corner of the screen. i am hesitant to press Enter to try the other options like 4. Onboard NIC because i don't know what i'm doing & don't want to make things even worse. Thank You for getting back to me. As before, any recommendations or ideas from you guys are extremely helpful.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,566 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

As you start the pc, begin tapping the f8 button, gently, aprrox once per second.....until it brings up the screen where you are given options to either enter safe mode or boot with last known good configuration or start normally etc etc     .....Select "Last Known Good configuration" and press enter

Let me know what happens

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

#6 wwwjohn

wwwjohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

when i start up the pc i begin tapping the f8 button aprox once per second but the screen with the option to enter into safe mode or boot with last known good configuration or start normally etc etc does not appear.  Is there another way to get into Safe Mode Condobloke?

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,566 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

ok....give me a while....I am not sufficiently familiar with Dell systems.

I will research this and report back here in a few hours.

Do you have a Windows CD  ?

Edited by Condobloke, 15 June 2014 - 05:54 PM.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

#8 wwwjohn

wwwjohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:23 PM

i don't have a Windows CD.

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,566 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2268&locale=en_US

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

#10 wwwjohn

wwwjohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:49 AM

i've topped the F8 button repeatedly immediately after turning the computer on & i cannot get into safe mode.

#11 wwwjohn

wwwjohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:50 AM

my computer runs XP

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

The blinking cursor with black background...in XP, that's an indication of damaged boot files.

The first step to try to overcome this is to run the fixmbr command...except that such is not recommended for OEM systems because of the nonstandard boot setups OEMs may employ.

I will ask someone more knowledgeable than myself to take a look and advise you...please be patient.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2014 - 08:28 AM.

#13 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

i cannot get my Dell Inspiron into Safe Mode. Read that pressing F8 right when computer boots up should get me into Safe Mode. If i instead press F12 on computer boot up i am given 5 options: "Last Known Good........" or "Start Normally" are not in any of these options. The 5 options of a boot device option i do get after pressing F12 on PC boot up are 1. Internal HDD 2. CD/DVD/CD RW Drive 3. Cardbus NIC 4. Onboard NIC 5. Diagnostics

i pressed Enter to try and boot from the Internal HDD, but this just gave me the same result of a blank screen with a blinking underline in the top left corner of the screen. i am hesitant to press Enter to try the other options like 4. Onboard NIC because i don't know what i'm doing & don't want to make things even worse. Thank You for getting back to me. As before, any recommendations or ideas from you guys are extremely helpful.

Run the fifth option after pressing F12, Diagnostics. Let it check your memory and Hard drive.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:52 PM

Hello, just letting you know I moved this topic o here in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum where it will stay.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 wwwjohn

wwwjohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

Moderator Thank you for checking out the situation & i understand that your time is quite valuable, so Thank you again for sharing this conundrum.

Global Moderator Thank you for putting my Topic in the correct spot.

Malware Response Team i Ran the fifth option after pressing F12, Diagnostics & it said every Test Results: Pass. Then a window pops up saying:

"No Diagnostics Utility Partition found. To run diagnostics, insert your Dell "Drivers & Utilities" CD, then select OK to restart the system & boot off the CD.

Ok or Cancel"

Unfortunately i do not have a Dell "Drivers & Utilities" CD. Any advice is much appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users