Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Parted Magic cant mount External HD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LindiBurger

LindiBurger

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:26 AM

Good Day.

I have a 1TB Seagate external Hard Drive and after removing it from my WD Media player it can no longer be recognised in Windows.

Chkdsk /f gives and error that the journal file can not be read.

When running Testdisk I can see all my files but I am not sure how to copy them as I have not 1 drive that is large enough to copy everything and I am scared to over write on the data.

When booting with Parted Magic I can't mount the external drive. I click mount, the block goes away and when it comes back the mount button is still green.

The data on this drive is very important as and stupid me didn't make a back up :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

Is it in your budget to purchase another external drive? If not, can you borrow one from someone you know? It would be safer to copy the data first before writing a new partition table but you are in good shape because you can see your files in TestDisk.

Did you see your partitions using Quick Search or did you have to use Deep Search?

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 June 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#3 LindiBurger

LindiBurger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:17 AM

I have a 500GB drive that I can use and I saw my files on the quick search. I am not sure how to copy the data to the other drive though, seeing that I can't see anything in windows and and can't seem to mount the drive in Parted Magic. I'm not super clued up so if you could explain how to do it I am sure to try it. Thanks for the reply :)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

Because you can see the partition using Quick Search and list your files, I believe you have a very good chance of writing a new partition table and seeing your drive again but because the files are so important to your, I believe it is best to copy over the most important files first.

In order to copy the files and or folders from the 1TB drive to the 500GB drive you will have to download the Windows version of Testdisk. When attaching the external drives, make a note of the drive letters assigned to each.

After downloading Testdisk and unzipping the folder in an admin accout, run it and do the same steps, using quick search and then pressing "P" to list the files. You will notice at the left a series of letters. Anything that starts with a "d" is a directory (folder) with files contained within.

In order to select multiple files and or directories highlight the file or directory you wish and press the ":" key (bleep + ;). Do not select "a" as you do not want to copy over all files. The selected folder or file will turn green. After your selection is done press "C", not lower case "c". It will show a window that defaults to the location of your unzipped Testdisk folder which you do not want.

Press the left arrow key twice. You should now see a listing of your drives. At the far right is the assigned letter to the drive. Highlight the letter that corresponds to your 500GB drive and press the right arrow key. You should see "Directory X:" at the top where "X" is the drive letter of your 500GB drive. Now press "C", not lower case "c" and the file will be copied and you will go back to the file listing again for more selections. You should now see that file on your 500GB drive in "Computer". I would start off by copying one file that is not that important and see how it goes. If it goes okay, then start selecting your most important files.

If you aren't sure, post back with any questions and I will try to explain in more detail if I can.

Screenshot of File lising showing selection option at bottom of window

Courtesy of

http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

td13.jpg

And I forgot. :welcome: to BC.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 June 2014 - 10:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users