Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My very first... cracked laptop screen.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 famicus

famicus

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:17 PM

=(

What i have is a https://www.google.com/search?q=inspiron+15+-+3521&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS484US484&oq=inspiron+15+-+3521&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i59j0l4.279j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=inspiron+15+-+3521+specs (dell inspiron 15 - 3521).

I'm looking to buy the replacement screen and install myself, but I just want to make sure I know everything I need before I make a purchase.

The top result in the above link is the OEM manual. For the display, it has a lot of good info, but what about a connector type? What specs do I need to look out for in total?

Most importantly, is this really something I should do myself? I can open a notebook... but I don't like doin' it! How much trouble am I in for?!

Edited by Orange Blossom, 12 June 2014 - 11:42 PM.
Revealed actual link. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:39 AM

Well, what do you feel your skill level is? I'm an experienced PC and lappy tech, and lappys can be a bit challenging. The main thing is to BE CAREFUL. The connectors are rather fragile if mishandled and break easily. There are usually quite a bit of small screws to keep track of, also. The best way to approach this is to search YouTube for laptop screen replacement videos to get an idea of what you're in for. Also, a parts replacement manual for the lappy in question, that has an "exploded" view, would be nice.

The top result in the above link is the OEM manual. For the display, it has a lot of good info, but what about a connector type?

What do you mean by connector type? Any connectors needed should come with the screen... and they will already be installed.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:50 AM

Here's a vid for your laptop screen replacement...

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

I've ordered parts directly from Dell, explaining to them I don't need any tech to do the repair, just the part itself.  I've done a Dell Inspirion 7000 display twice for the same user, display element was only $120.  Serviced it myself and save the costly on site service charges.  Not really a difficult repair.  Remember to use plastic wedges to pry the bezel free, metal will gouge and nick the edges and then tear your hands.

#5 famicus

famicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

I've been looking for a plastic wedge. Last time I lost fingernails.

Any common items that make a good wedge?

Could I buy one from Fry's?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

Ebay is a good place to get pry tools cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12X-Opening-Plastic-Pry-Tools-for-Apple-iPhone-iPod-/281046571280

As a side note, I had no experience with laptops but was able to replace the screen in mine without a problem. I was able to do it by only removing the bezel and not a complete teardown. The CCFL backlight went bad and I decided to replace it with a LED backlight screen I found on Ebay that was much cheaper and a converter cable. The only drawback is I cannot adjust screen brightness, but I would take that over another CFFL backlight display that are only going to get more expensive as LED backlights take over. My total cost for the new screen and converter cable was about $65.

#7 famicus

famicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

You mention that converter cable..

I stepped on it while it was closed on the ground... xy69jwT.jpg?1

I'm thinking the only thing I have to buy is the screen itself.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

Sorry for the misunderstanding. You do not need a converter cable. I needed one because I went from a CCFL bulb backlight to a LED backlight. Yours laptop probably uses an LED backlight. You only need the screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users